azelkhunter69

Enough moisture?

IF we get all the rain/snow they say we might....any of you antler growth experts think it will make a difference this year?  Is it enough?  Too late? I know some people think how the animals go into the winter plays a big part.  The Summer, Fall and early winter were extremely dry.  Curious on your thoughts.

• Like 1

The amount of moisture we need this winter to salvage antler growth is near impossible. It takes a LOT more than one storm, unless it happens to snow 10-12 feet. There is basically zero snow anywhere in AZ and hasn’t been any to speak of all year. Critters are going to be in BAD shape if it’s another dry spring and summer as well

• Like 3

If we get the same kind of weather as this once in FEB and one in MAR then might help.

• Like 3

No point in applying for elk.  Save your points .   I’ll take the bullet and apply and hopefully get any “crummy year”tags so no one else has to hunt weak antlered animals.  No need to thank me.

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

More storms are coming this winter and spring but it won’t be like last year.

We had good growth last year because our winter was super wet. Summer was dry but horn growth was good.

In order to salvage this year we need more this spring and an awesome summer monsoon to finish the growth.

I will be in for the draw.

3 minutes ago, 206 said:

More storms are coming this winter and spring but it won’t be like last year.

We had good growth last year because our winter was super wet. Summer was dry but horn growth was good.

In order to salvage this year we need more this spring and an awesome summer monsoon to finish the growth.

I will be in for the draw.

But didn’t we have horrible horn growth last year? 

• Like 2

I’m more concerned with the complete lack of pre-winter moisture and the resultant non-existent browse. Who knows what kind of shape the animals are in right now.

42 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

But didn’t we have horrible horn growth last year? 

No...at least not what i saw...one of the absolute worst ruts ever but the growth was there. One of the biggest bulls ever killed with auction tag,  A lot of outfitters had giants on canera that never showed up...My cameras showed average to above average growth for sure.

Elk antler growth isnt all about the amount of moisture but the timing of moisture.. If we get a few storms every month it will allow new grass and feed growth which will support the elk.   All that being said we rarely get much rain or snow after March so I'm not counting on much. Wishing and praying but not counting.

• Like 3

We got a good 4” of snow at my place south of Prescott. Supposed to dump a bunch more tonight.  Fingers crossed.  

I saw them eating Junipers a couple of weeks ago in Pine which I though was strange but then I have seen them eat Common Mullein.

image.png.84b66f2d21f52c4f793b557dbef17ce1.png

15 hours ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

No...at least not what i saw...one of the absolute worst ruts ever but the growth was there. One of the biggest bulls ever killed with auction tag,  A lot of outfitters had giants on canera that never showed up...My cameras showed average to above average growth for sure.

Elk antler growth isnt all about the amount of moisture but the timing of moisture.. If we get a few storms every month it will allow new grass and feed growth which will support the elk.   All that being said we rarely get much rain or snow after March so I'm not counting on much. Wishing and praying but not counting.

Moisture must have been really spotty then. I saw terrible antler growth and mostly busted bulls this year in the eastern part of the state. Many friends that guide and spend a lot more time out than me saw the same thing. 

These little storms like this are nice but they don't do a whole lot for the animals and vegetation. The animals in a lot of parts of the state likely headed into winter in pretty poor shape so a nasty winter might not be the best for them strictly for survival. The complete lack of a monsoon in 2019 and 2020 hurts a lot. We need that rain so the animals can have enough browse to get fat for the winter as well as have enough to last through the winter. Mars has more vegetation than some spots i hunt that usually have a lot of feed. 

• Like 2

I was on the Kiabab twice this fall hunting and once in December in 36B and from what I seen their were tons of does and fawns and they didn't look to be in poor shape then.

1 hour ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Moisture must have been really spotty then. I saw terrible antler growth and mostly busted bulls this year in the eastern part of the state. Many friends that guide and spend a lot more time out than me saw the same thing. 

These little storms like this are nice but they don't do a whole lot for the animals and vegetation. The animals in a lot of parts of the state likely headed into winter in pretty poor shape so a nasty winter might not be the best for them strictly for survival. The complete lack of a monsoon in 2019 and 2020 hurts a lot. We need that rain so the animals can have enough browse to get fat for the winter as well as have enough to last through the winter. Mars has more vegetation than some spots i hunt that usually have a lot of feed. 

I only look at bulls in 23, 3a3c and the 4s. Those are notoriously dry units already and so maybe it didn't affect them as much. I never saw giant bulls during the hunts, but I did see them on camera. I heard the same about 23 and the 4s. I also heard that about 1 and 27 but I didn't spend any time over there.  Just as in cattle it doesn't take much green grass to start fatting them up. BUT they need continued new growth. That is why if we get get rain every month I think it will be ok. But again. I doubt that will happen. 

• Like 2