SirRoyal

TRAIL CAM BAN UPDATE 3/17/21

59 minutes ago, JSR said:

Per the game and fish commission, that wrote the rule, it is still perfectly legal to put out as many cameras as you want to.

That’s exactly right just make dang sure they can’t tie any of them to their definition of “take” which is a very broad definition. 

Since they approved the rule, I will be following it and not using cams for hunting, and I hope they actually enforce it some magic way(seems pretty hard to see how they would ) since I don't like the idea of hunters still using them having an unfair advantage above everyone else. Maybe they set up a sting on a water hole with a few cameras during a premo hunt, and wait for the first guy wearing camo to role up and check his camera? Or follow a "civilian" back to a hunting camp? Or maybe the vigilanties will take care of all you sudden new "bird watchers" cameras and no tax funded camera enforcement will be needed. Although the irony of someone wanting to follow the law so bad that they don't put up cams and then breaking the law by breaking other people's cameras to self enforce the law is pretty stark.

I walked up on a guzzler yesterday that usually has numerous cams on it. Not a single one. I thought it was kinda cool.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Sneaker said:

Since they approved the rule, I will be following it and not using cams for hunting, and I hope they actually enforce it some magic way(seems pretty hard to see how they would ) since I don't like the idea of hunters still using them having an unfair advantage above everyone else. Maybe they set up a sting on a water hole with a few cameras during a premo hunt, and wait for the first guy wearing camo to role up and check his camera? Or follow a "civilian" back to a hunting camp? Or maybe the vigilanties will take care of all you sudden new "bird watchers" cameras and no tax funded camera enforcement will be needed. Although the irony of someone wanting to follow the law so bad that they don't put up cams and then breaking the law by breaking other people's cameras to self enforce the law is pretty stark.

I asked the commisioners a question on how this will be enforced, they forwarded my question to the law enforcement chief and his response was very encouraging.  

So for the purposes of your questions, any photograph and/or data captured by a trail camera after January 1, 2022 and used for the take or aiding in the take of wildlife will be unlawful, even if that was not the initial intended use of the trail camera. This data is not limited to a photograph of a specific animal, all knowledge gained by the use of the camera will be unlawful as well. There is no time limit on that knowledge, if it is gained after January 1, 2022, it is unlawful.

• Like 2

So, the commissioners didnt have full knowledge of the rule before approving it.  One of those "we have to pass it first then we will know what it does" rules.  So, even if your camera doesnt take a single pic it still gave you some knowledge.  🤷‍♂️

10 minutes ago, ThomC said:

So, the commissioners didnt have full knowledge of the rule before approving it.  One of those "we have to pass it first then we will know what it does" rules.  So, even if your camera doesnt take a single pic it still gave you some knowledge.  🤷‍♂️

Like dumbest thing I've ever read.

3 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

I asked the commisioners a question on how this will be enforced, they forwarded my question to the law enforcement chief and his response was very encouraging.  

So for the purposes of your questions, any photograph and/or data captured by a trail camera after January 1, 2022 and used for the take or aiding in the take of wildlife will be unlawful, even if that was not the initial intended use of the trail camera. This data is not limited to a photograph of a specific animal, all knowledge gained by the use of the camera will be unlawful as well. There is no time limit on that knowledge, if it is gained after January 1, 2022, it is unlawful.

Their enforcement response makes sense I guess. Any knowledge gained is unfair now, so even the absense of animals or animals you didn't kill qualifies. I used cams several years ago for a Jan 1 OTC archery opener, the cameras that I ran that did not show bucks on, I did not sit those waters because of that knowledge :)

• Like 1

At the rate you guys want to ban things you don't like or understand it won't be long before we all are hunting with rocks and slingshots .we don't need to give them anymore things to ban or ideas to cut our hunting.And for those who wish to post about breaking the rules please be aware that fish and game do monitor most social media sites it gets a lot of people caught each year.so if you do wish to run cameras I'd keep it quiet.I'm personally not against them as you have to still be there when the animals are there .

• Like 2

On 1/5/2022 at 3:44 AM, Crazymonkey said:

At the rate you guys want to ban things you don't like or understand it won't be long before we all are hunting with rocks and slingshots .we don't need to give them anymore things to ban or ideas to cut our hunting.And for those who wish to post about breaking the rules please be aware that fish and game do monitor most social media sites it gets a lot of people caught each year.so if you do wish to run cameras I'd keep it quiet.I'm personally not against them as you have to still be there when the animals are there .

Do lame and fishy have a dept of monitoring the internet for violators and 15 or 20 enforcement rangers.  What is their phone number?