creed

Electronic tags

I've used the e-tags in New Mexico and really like it. My concern is that it will have to be implemented correctly and given AZ G&F's IT capabilities, I question how well they could pull it off. I agree with GreyGhost85 it will help a lot with harvest reporting if it's implemented well and gets good adoption rates.

• Like 3

I've used in in NM.  It is really slick.  I think it is worth it for the harvest reporting alone.

For those worried about kill locations, the apps (at least the one NM uses) don't work that way.  You don't even need cell service, only battery life left on your phone.   When you make a kill, you open the app and answer a few questions.  The app will then give you a tag number to write down on what you use to tag the animal.  I used blaze orange duct tape and a black sharpie.  If you don't have cell service and if you have the GPS turned off on your phone, I don't see how they could possibly narrow down your kill location...I could be wrong...but it just doesn't seem like it worked that way.  Once you get back to civilization and you have service, the app will sync up with the Department system to let is know that you killed, and you are done hunting. 

• Like 1

We have used them in NM as well. Some of our party used the etag with no issues whatsoever and others stuck with the traditional paper tag. I do like the NM system for the tags and would not be upset if Az went that route. UNLESS Az has the same people trying to do the tags that did the draw.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1uglydude said:

I've used in in NM.  It is really slick.  I think it is worth it for the harvest reporting alone.

For those worried about kill locations, the apps (at least the one NM uses) don't work that way.  You don't even need cell service, only battery life left on your phone.   When you make a kill, you open the app and answer a few questions.  The app will then give you a tag number to write down on what you use to tag the animal.  I used blaze orange duct tape and a black sharpie.  If you don't have cell service and if you have the GPS turned off on your phone, I don't see how they could possibly narrow down your kill location...I could be wrong...but it just doesn't seem like it worked that way.  Once you get back to civilization and you have service, the app will sync up with the Department system to let is know that you killed, and you are done hunting. 

Yep, not to mention most smartphones and apps can turn off location based services. Either completely or on the app level. Unless they required location for use for some reason... but I don't see why they would do that. 

Kansas has a pretty sweet system also you can buy tags threw the app. 

kill check in with photos . 

Why so much resistance to electronic tags?  It's like guys guys in here still write checks and get money orders.  Get with the times, we might actually get mandatory harvest reporting if we were to go to electronic tags.  It would be much easier to require and like any new electronic option, there will still be an "old school" option for a few years.  Sometimes I think AGFD is like Trump to democrats.  He, they, could cure cancer and the other side would still bitch about how he, they did it wrong.  

Who doesn’t write checks anymore? 

13 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Why so much resistance to electronic tags?  It's like guys guys in here still write checks and get money orders.  Get with the times, we might actually get mandatory harvest reporting if we were to go to electronic tags.  It would be much easier to require and like any new electronic option, there will still be an "old school" option for a few years.  Sometimes I think AGFD is like Trump to democrats.  He, they, could cure cancer and the other side would still bitch about how he, they did it wrong.  

34 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Why so much resistance to electronic tags?  It's like guys guys in here still write checks and get money orders.

We still write checks.

I dont like electronics for banking/paying bills etc etc,  put it this way if you can do it electronically so can some little 6 year old chinese kid eating with chops sticks, playing PS4 while hacking into your account.

it would definatly help with kill reports thats forsure.

but like so many other things with technology it gets abused.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HuntHarder said:

What’s wrong with writing checks?

1 hour ago, HuntHarder said:

Would wrather ink a check then cash app or venmo any day