stanley

General Bull Hunts.... Who's going?

Anyone else going Elk hunting next week???

My last tag was two years ago, and there was a BIG snowstorm on Thanksgiving night that effectively shut me out of my unit for the first three days.  That's all the time I had to hunt, so it was basically a bust.  Was fortunate to get another tag this year.  I'm taking the entire hunt off work this time and will be living in my Alaknak for the week, starting Thanksgiving day.  Though I wouldn't mind a little snow, I'm sort of hoping the weather will just stay as it has been for the duration of the hunt. 

One more scouting trip this weekend!

Good luck, all!

S.

• Like 6

Was up in 22n last weekend checking out our usual spots just to get out of Phx for a few days with my son and it was crazy warm tee shirt weather during the day. Our hunt is the late December bull hunt and my fingers are crossed that we get a cold snap to get the bulls moving down off the Rim. Was up there a few years ago scouting around this same time for the same hunt and it was cold…but not this time. 
Fingers crossed we get some cold temps…just not so cold and nasty as it makes for a long day of glassing.  

• Like 1

We'll be in 22 south 4 of us have tags. We have a house rented and it should be a blast. Cant wait to start glassing up some bulls in those nasty canyons there. Last time I didn't leave with the bull I wanted partially because its a gut check to dive off the edge of the canyons and think about dragging a bull out of the depths of some of the canyons there. This year I don't care if I'm coming out one sandwich bag at a time I'm overdue.

• Like 4

Good luck Stan. I can’t wait to hear the stories.

We will be elk hunting next week but not bulls. My son Nash has his first elk hunt, a muzzleloader cow tag. It will be interesting, but at least it doesn’t appear that it will be frigid.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, stanley said:

Anyone else going Elk hunting next week???

My last tag was two years ago, and there was a BIG snowstorm on Thanksgiving night that effectively shut me out of my unit for the first three days.  That's all the time I had to hunt, so it was basically a bust.  Was fortunate to get another tag this year.  I'm taking the entire hunt off work this time and will be living in my Alaknak for the week, starting Thanksgiving day.  Though I wouldn't mind a little snow, I'm sort of hoping the weather will just stay as it has been for the duration of the hunt. 

One more scouting trip this weekend!

Good luck, all!

S.

Stanley, good luck!!! If I’m not mistaken you will be in unit 8. I have 2 kiddos with that tag and we been watching a pile of good bulls living their best lives in some nice canyons. We have put a couple of them on notice that their days are numbered.

My dad had that 2019 tag in 8 and it was a crazy couple days we killed in 30 minutes of hunting opening day. Take care, Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Markleo21377 said:

Stanley, good luck!!! If I’m not mistaken you will be in unit 8. I have 2 kiddos with that tag and we been watching a pile of good bulls living their best lives in some nice canyons. We have put a couple of them on notice that their days are numbered.

My dad had that 2019 tag in 8 and it was a crazy couple days we killed in 30 minutes of hunting opening day. Take care, Mark

Thanks!!  Not unit 8, but right next door. ;)   

Super cool you have two kids with tags in 8!   Hunting with the kids beats ANYTHING!!  Good luck!!!

3 hours ago, Flatlander said:

Good luck Stan. I can’t wait to hear the stories.

We will be elk hunting next week but not bulls. My son Nash has his first elk hunt, a muzzleloader cow tag. It will be interesting, but at least it doesn’t appear that it will be frigid.

Thanks, Andrew.  I'm excited to have my own tag, but also genuinely envious that you will be hunting with Nash!  Good luck to him!!

Regarding the weather, I agree it looks to be fairly benign/average. 👍

Good luck Stanley!

Since my kids drew no elk tags I'm seriously considering doing an ohteecee weekend back pack hunt with my wife. We shall see...

• Like 1

Good luck everyone! Haven’t been drawn in 4 years. Actually lucky I didn’t get drawn this year. Recovering from West Nile virus. It’s amazing that one little mosquito can screw you up so badly. 
Enjoy your hunts and the weather.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mocha1545 said:

Good luck everyone! Haven’t been drawn in 4 years. Actually lucky I didn’t get drawn this year. Recovering from West Nile virus. It’s amazing that one little mosquito can screw you up so badly. 
Enjoy your hunts and the weather.

It killed my bosses dad. It’s a real bitch.

Good luck everyone. IMO, it can be great hunting or you'd swear there's hardly and elk around in 6A. We hunted for 5 of the 7 days of the bull ML hunt that ended this week (11/12-11/18).   All the dues I paid with walking, walking ....and more walking with my smokepole and my longtime buddy Fred so far not paying off. It seemed someone had stirred up the few herds we did see with no good shot to take. They were at a trot to other places. Finally on the last day, yesterday, as we walked up a Jeep trail, God smiled on me. A small herd crossed the trail just 75 yards in front of me just as we were in the shade of a pine tree. The third elk was a 6X6 and I sent a Barnes 290 grain into his lungs. He never took another step but did not go down. Actually, I wasn't completely sure I hit him because he had no reaction, but soon blood started coming out of the wound in his lower chest.  I had time to reload and send one more, not 6 inches from the first, and he STILL stood motionless. Tough animal! He finally dropped after a couple of minutes. I will NEVER use another bullet than the Barnes TEZ either 250 or 290 grain bullets. The performance is outstanding. The round we recovered was exactly the same as what was printed on the box the bullets came in. And more good news, We were able to drive right up to him! Quartered at the butcher he was just under 400 pounds. 

elk laying down.jpg

elk3.jpg

• Like 21