Sign in to follow this  
greg.shrum

10mm??

5 minutes ago, eagle#eyes said:

Not to derail this, but with upgrades did you throw on? I love my G20, but am always open to new ideas with it 

Kkm barrel, polished trigger, 3.5# disconnect, Holodun 507cx2 sight. 

• Like 1

I have been carrying a G20 for many years, prior to even being popular.  I have 2 actually, one is on the G20 frame, the other is on the Lonewolf frame.  Lonewolf is nice because it has the thinner grip, better texture, high grip cut, beaver tail.  Have a KKM barrel in the Lonewolf. I put a cut aftermarket slide on it and had the front and rear serrations cut deeper.

Back when Robar did gun mods, I had them do work on the G20 frame, did grip reduction, beaver tail, grip texture. 

I use Underwood ammo - 220 gr hardcast lead or 200 gr XTP.

20220601_185414.jpg

• Like 2

If you’re rifle hunting any center fire deer rifle is gonna be 10x better then the biggest pistol so save the weight.   If you’re bowhunting then I’d go with a Glock 20.  It probably won’t make a bit of difference but you can finish yourself off after the bear chews you up atleast.  

• Like 1

Grew up in Alaska and had my share of bear encounters (never had to pull the trigger on one). Know guys who carry 44 mag and 10mm or .45. Also saw plenty of pictures along with the stories.

One that stuck with me is my uncle who was with a buddy and he had to take a brown bear down at 10 yards in the brush.

10mm Glock and he said that bear went down like it took a 12 gauge slug. From the photos I can see why.

Would be happy with a 44 or 10mm, but don’t discount the 10.

• Like 1

Glock 10mm was my choice.

Sig is bring out a 10mm though, and that has been super interested. I shot it a few weeks ago before it was released and I shot it really well...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steve6060al said:

Grew up in Alaska and had my share of bear encounters (never had to pull the trigger on one). Know guys who carry 44 mag and 10mm or .45. Also saw plenty of pictures along with the stories.

One that stuck with me is my uncle who was with a buddy and he had to take a brown bear down at 10 yards in the brush.

10mm Glock and he said that bear went down like it took a 12 gauge slug. From the photos I can see why.

Would be happy with a 44 or 10mm, but don’t discount the 10.

Where did the bullet hit the bear?  Did he hit CNS? 

18 hours ago, yotebuster said:

If you’re rifle hunting any center fire deer rifle is gonna be 10x better then the biggest pistol so save the weight.   If you’re bowhunting then I’d go with a Glock 20.  It probably won’t make a bit of difference but you can finish yourself off after the bear chews you up atleast.  

If your rifle is out and ready. Most hunting rifles and not quick in a close encounter. 

+1 on the bear spray in addition to the handgun you shoot well.

It's a good practice to have a buddy at the ready while you are distracted tending to the downed animal.

Friends in AK tell me that in some areas (mostly the islands) bears rush to the sound of a rifle shot like a dinner bell trying to beat the hunter to the carcass.

My MT friends have not related that level of bear activity there.

Aside from the bear issue, it should be a fun hunt!

• Like 2

just learn to run faster than your friend, or clip the achilles and your golden.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.americanhunter.org/content/8-best-charge-stopping-bear-cartridges/

Stumbled across this article on the subject and includes some handgun cartridges.

• Like 1

I have the Glock 40 and love it!  I took it to Kodiak on my son's bear hunt and luckily I didn't have to use it.  I was shooting the Grizzly 220 hard cast bear load.

Have had the G29 for a few years now and no plans to part with it. Fits my hand a little better with the pinky extender. Have plinked close to a thousand rounds of .40 through it with out a single issue.

It's amazing to me how the 10mm round got a second wind in the'80s when issued to the FBI, but the sissies couldn't handle the recoil. 

You're a big boy, Greg you will have no problem with the recoil.