PRDATR

Elk Processing from MIllers 6-8 Weeks

That's what I was quoted when I dropped off some quarters in Forest Lakes today. Are they doing drugs or what? Orange Man says they are a bunch of Dummies. Has this become a novelty for them?

My choice is Carl's Custom Meat's in Camp Verde. It's only a few minutes from I-17.  I've never been to Millers but maybe they are having labor issues like a lot of places? Carl's has always done well for me, even having connections with a taxidermist. It was a one stop shop to have my European mount done AND butchering. The mount was there at Carl's when I picked up the meat.  Last years elk included in one of the "packages" they provide included the usual cuts of meat, "beef " sticks, chorizo, summer sausage, and bunch of ground elk, which was great for passing out to friends. Okay, I kept all the good cuts for me and the immediate family :). All the meat (except the meat sticks) was wrapped  in plastic wrap and paper enough to withstand freezer burn for a long time.  I can only speak from my own experience although when I just looked it up to make sure it was IN Camp Verde and not a suburb, it had 4 1/2 stars . Last year it was a week or so turn around, if my memory serves right. It was an early muzzleloader hunt so things might have been a little different at that time. I didn't get drawn this year but last years personal best 6X6 bull was an acceptable end to a lifelong hunting after 70 years of living and 60 years of hunting in this state. Okay, getting wordy here, good luck to all!                  

• Like 4

We quit using  miller's and started  using  Casey's in flag .Sure do miss Ron  in Payson!! Sold the place after his wife passed  and went to live closer to his boy in Utah or Colorado. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PRDATR said:

That's what I was quoted when I dropped off some quarters in Forest Lakes today. Are they doing drugs or what? Orange Man says they are a bunch of Dummies. Has this become a novelty for them?

Who is orange man? 

They’re the busiest wild game butcher in town and it late in the season. He probably has 2 semi trucks full of elk right now. 

• Like 1

I use Miller's and have had good results. Sometimes it takes awhile if late in the season, but always clean and well wrapped. I tried Von Hansons once, snack sticks were not as good as Millers, too greasy, fatty I guess.

• Like 2

I’ve also had good luck with them multiple times. Great final product and they have never let me down when they gave me a date to pick up. Pretty standard this time of year that they are backed up. They don’t just do wild game either so factor that into the wait time. 

I have never used any of the others mentioned so I have no comparison but I have always been happy with Miller's.  I think a lot of time they are finished faster than the date they give you.  The worst is saying it is going to be 2 weeks and it ends up taking a month.

Millers is fantastic. Nothing but praise for them. It’s called volume and well Worth the wait if you ask me.Don’t want to wait take it elsewhere. Or process it yourself

Both of my kids elk where done by millers, My daughters was right at 4 weeks and my sons was right at 6 weeks. He had a lot of summer sausage and snack sticks. That place was packed with people picking up and dropping of a few weeks ago. They had a sign on the counter do not call us before 6 weeks to see if your order is ready.

I have had meat given to me from almost all the places listed above. Casey's is the only place I would take an animal if I couldn't do it myself. That being said, he is often full.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

I have had meat given to me from almost all the places listed above. Casey's is the only place I would take an animal if I couldn't do it myself. That being said, he is often full.

Casey's is the way to go.  He has never taken more than a week to call for pickup, usually 3-4 days even when busy like now.  Plus I like his old school butcher paper wrapping, lasts forever in the freezer. 

• Like 2