Sign in to follow this  
k-rub

2023 Kaibab Bison Success!

4 days before the start of this hunt, Eddie Corona at OE4A contacted me about donating this hunt to me from a very generous person who was unable to hunt. I'm a double amputee combat vet and a diehard bowhunter. Immediately I got to planning. I knew nothing about bison and about bison hunting. Luckily I got connected with Russ and Laura Jacoby. They are bison whisperers.
I can truly tell you that I would not have been successful on this hunt without them. Their logistical expertise is on par with extremely complex military deployments that I've been a part of. It's amazing to see what they do.

The conditions this year were tough. There is still a ton of snow on the Kaibab. 4'-7' drifts are still present up there. Without a snowmobile or UTV with tracks, it was impossible to reach the blinds and salt. And the road leading in to the north rim is closed until June 2nd. I'm not convinced that the snow will be fully melted in time to get access with a truck. My hunt ended June 6th, so I definitely hired Russ/Laura or else I wouldn't have been able to access the hunt area.

As most people know, this particular hunt means you have to sit in a blind, 14 hrs a day for an average of 14 days before you harvest a bison. You have to wait for them to come off the park. I mentally prepared myself for this. And I knew I was going to take the risk and try with my bow. It took us many hours just to reach the spike camp deep in the Kaibab using UTVs with snow tracks. It was slow going, like 9mph for 12 miles slow. After we finally arrived at the camp, Russ sent us 3 hunters out to hunt half a day while he set up the camp. Myself, Randy and Dave set out on the 90 minute ride to the hunt area. Randy and I dropped off Dave and then parked the UTV to begin our mile long walk into the blind. We hunted our way to the blind and as we approached the blind Randy spotted bison already at the water source. We quickly set down our gear. I grabbed my bow and Randy grabbed his rifle. Randy was able to take a quick couple shots and down went one of the bison. One bison ran away into the Grand Canyon park and the other waited by the bison that was laying on the ground. At that point I was able to slip in to 28yds and put an absolutely perfect arrow in the last bison. I shot another arrow and hit low in the sternum, but it wasn't necessary because the first arrow was a kill shot through both lungs. He fell and was dead in 30 seconds.

We were ecstatic. We celebrated, hugged, cried and shared our viewpoints on what had happened. It was absolutely amazing! I couldn't believe I had snuck in with a bow, on the rim of the Grand Canyon and perfectly shot a bison!!! It took us long into the night to cut up the two bison and load them on to the snow machines. We used Russ's winches on the UTVs and portable winches to hoist the two bison into trees to make the work easier. Another 24 hrs later we were finally back at the main camp. After our goodbyes I drove home and got to contemplate what had just happened. I think I'm luckier than I should be. I never even stepped foot in that blind. I can't wait to try the bison meat from this harvest and sharing it with friends and family! Other than that...all I can say is that I am so blessed and thankful for OE4A for what they do.

20230503_162130(0).jpg

20230503_162028.jpg

20230503_163812.jpg

20230503_170602.jpg

20230503_175143.jpg

• Like 42
  • Love 1
  • Wow! 5

Very Cool indeed. Congratulations to you and all those who participated in making it a successful hunt.

So happy for your archery success and divine timing! Donated tag, ability to go hunt with little notice, clockwork logistics under adverse weather conditions, stealthy approach, perfect arrow placement on AZ’s biggest game… this was better than the lottery. Congrats. Thank you for your SERVICE. 🇺🇸

• Like 1

Dude!  You are on a roll!

Congrats to the both of you.

Shout out to Eddie C!

WOW!   Great story!  Congrats!!!!!!

Congrats, amazing adventure! Thank you for your service to our country  🤝🏻 🙏🏼

• Like 1

So cool and happy for you. Your going to love the meat!!!!

Congratulations! I saw this on an instagram post earlier, but I had to reread the entire story. What a blessing. Can't think of someone more deserving of this kind of generosity and luck. Thanks for the writeup

That is awesome!!  Huge congrats to getting it done with a bow and to getting 28 yards unnoticed, you da man.  Gotta love it when a hunt falls into place.  Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

Huge Congrats. Love it when all the planets align!

Thank you for your Service!