Markleo21377

Bull found 5BS

Bad shots happen to all of us eventually. Wait til the rifle cow hunts in a couple weeks when the lead starts flying....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TOBY said:

Bad shots happen to all of us eventually. Wait til the rifle cow hunts in a couple weeks when the lead starts flying....

That is certainly a fact. This guy could have done everything within his ability to execute and something happened. My experience with being a part of over 20 elk kills is people rushing the opportunity instead of being patient and letting it happen or passing a marginal opportunity for a better one. I just came back from early archery hunt with 4 tags in our camp. We killed 4 bulls in 5 days…furthest shot 30 yards. 

All of us in camp can shoot our broadheads consistently in baseball size groups at 60 but I discouraged everyone in camp from shooting over 40. A target doesn’t move…elk do. I called over 20 bulls in for these guys and had them pass long shots and it allowed us to get chip shots. Archery hunting is a game of inches 👍

• Like 12

One of my new guilty pleasures is going to the Facebook hunting groups, finding a post about someone finding a dead animal 

then reading the comment from some derelict telling everyone about shot selection and how they never wounded anything in their day 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

One of my new guilty pleasures is going to the Facebook hunting groups, finding a post about someone finding a dead animal 

then reading the comment from some derelict telling everyone about shot selection and how they never wounded anything in their day 

I was helping a friend in 11m a few years ago. We found a dead bull on the border.  I posted it here and got like 20 private messages of wounded bulls that were not that bull. 

• Wow! 1

5 years ago I started keeping score on the archery hunters on our farm and how they do in recovery success on eastern whitetails.  It’s WAY lower then you think and way lower then anyone will admit.  This is just a cross sectional analysis of random hunters allowed to hunt here.  So far they have recovered 6 and lost 5 with archery and are 9 for 9 with rifle.  This is just straight up did they hit it and did they find it data.  The shots I will definitely say were no better with rifle, they’re just so much more destructive.  Anyone who claims archery has a higher recovery rate than rifle is lying, that data has been proven false over and over.   Two years ago I made everyone quit hunting with a bow out of an elevated stand as that seemed to heavily influence if they were gonna wound or not and getting everyone on the ground seemed to help some.  I’m gonna keep the data going in the future as it’s the only honest hard data I’ve found albeit a small sample size. 

• Like 2