Sign in to follow this  
AzDiamondHeat

Easton's first hunt

I have always enjoyed journaling my noteworthy hunts on here both for posterity and entertainment. Although this is not MY hunt, it is noteworthy as it is my sons FIRST hunt. Not just of deer but of ANYTHING..

My son has never shown ANY interest in hunting. ZERO. Not even in VIDEO GAMES. I mean ZEEEERO. So when he said he would be interested in applying for the deer draw I was somewhat surprised. I think we were ALL shocked when he actually got drawn. 

I spent a LOT of time planning and preparing and begging for advice (a HUGE thank-you to all that sent info to me) I had a pretty good game plan of how to get him a deer. All that went out the window after we learned he is HORRIBLE at shooting. We practiced and practiced  and got help from some extremely good teachers(not me) but he just couldn't find the rhythm. He developed a pretty bad flinch even with  the lightest of deer rifles. So I switched him to my 223ar and locked him into a pretty decent tripod system(field optics research) to help with the flinch and stability. He was shooting good this way but it severely limited our range and options for hunting. I decided we would be limited to 100 yds or less and in a controlled environment. So that means sitting water. 

So now our epic journey begins,,,,,,

Day one.

Opening morning.

It's over.

The end.

Our view

20231013_093001.thumb.jpg.80ffb556b3a258440999cf7c766f3bf8.jpg

curios visitor

20231013_100826.thumb.jpg.9bbca158d34bc063690edf12da4bf85b.jpg

The best part of the entire hunt for HIM

20231013_103224.thumb.jpg.5e35b38203a1eaeaa95ace6ce3da37f9.jpg

The end......

20231013_121440.thumb.jpg.401ebd5da0ab8ad90891b55d28f26de0.jpg20231013_122019.thumb.jpg.53941961ad9b74a791cbb045fd95fd06.jpg20231013_122306.thumb.jpg.00d83bfc0eb4f9ee774b55d4d5cef5f5.jpg

Sat until 10 am when it started getting hot and I figured they might come get a drink. First saw the above doe and watched her for quite awhile. Then another and another. Eventually two small bucks showed up. There was a larger buck farther back behind the water hole but Easton could not see it well. The small one was standing broadside at 80 yds. After about 5 min of watching and waiting for the bigger buck he decided the little one was good enough. Calm as a rock he he went through the process we practiced. Pretty much a bang flop. I was a "little" nervous about the 223 but it WRECKED that little deer. Never had a chance.

He was a ROCK. ZERO nerves. ME on the other hand. I was a nervous wreck. Took me forever to calm down. I was so bad I for got to video it. Oh, I HAD the camera set up and I turned it on. I even followed the deer around for 5 min all the way through the shot. I just neglected hitting the record button.  I so totally suck at video. It is my Achilles heel.

About 5 min after the shot 2 buggies came up the trail. I think if he waited for the bigger buck any longer we might have gotten nothing. I commended him for his good call and his excellent shooting.

Funniest part of the entire event was afterwards. I asked if he had fun and he said it was awesome. I asked if he wanted to do it again and without pause and very emphatically he said...

Nope.

Oh well.  We'll see,,,,,

• Like 27
  • Love 3
  • Haha 4

Loved the read.

Your son is full of unknowns.  LOL

Congrats to the both of you on tagging out on day one!

Great story.  When you sent me the pictures in the text I wasn't sure if you were going to post it on here.  I am glad you did. Congrats again to your son and you.

Way to go pops!  You set him up the best way for success and most importantly took snacks:) 

He might just surprise you and want to do it again. Congrats to both of you! 

That is a great story. Congrats to you and your son.

If he doesnt do it again, at least he gave it a try. My daughter she killed her pig then never hunted again, I was just happy she gave it a shot.

• Like 1

Great write up! Congrats to both of you. Even if he doesn't hunt again you will the memory of this hunt. So glad he gave it a try and great job from you for making it great!

Awesome…congrats and thanks for sharing! 

and yeah…as others have said at least he gave it a try and will have good memories. Both of my kids tried hunting and it wasn’t for them. I’m just glad they both tried it. 

• Like 1

Great story haha. Love that your son immediately replied “nope”! But hats off to you for all your work and patience in making sure he had a great experience. And congratulations to your son on great shooting and tagging his first ever animal!