TR0UBLE SH00TER

How's the AZGFD E-Tag app?

Just a tip: Once you write the number on duct tape, flagging, tape..etc and attach to animal, take a photo of it on the animal showing the number. This way, if it’s raining or bloody, and the number rubs off and might be unreadable, you have a digital backup proof of date and time of properly tagging your animal. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

i always thought pulling out the tag and slapping it on was pretty convenient. Was it not? 

It always was easy, but even easier now.  I also like the fact that maybe some more harvest surveys will get filled out.  It is a step in the right direction imo.  More harvest data = more accurate counts.  Mandatory reporting and check in would be ideal, but may be a long way off or never happen. 

It used to be kind of a pain to have 4 or 5 tags in your pack and have to keep shuffling them around depending on which pack or animals I planned to encounter.  Also just had an instance on Thursday where a buddy's paper pig tail got a little wet from the rain and it was an absolute pain to peel off the backing to apply it to the pig.  I managed to get enough sticky left on the tag to attach it, but it was close to no bueno.  

• Like 1

I used the E Tag yesterday on a javillina.  For horned animals I imagine it would be okay, but for javillina it sucked ( IMO) the "issued tags" worked well putting it through the leg and would stay on - electrical tape not so much. 

The dang number was hard to read in the sun- you have to complete the harvest study before you get the number- not a big deal. 

Believe me E tags can be lost - just leave your phone at camp / truck or lose it.   

I wouldn't say I didn't like it but its not great. 

• Like 3

It’s like the Costco digital membership card on costco app. The old card was fine, no problems…. Keep it in wallet.  The digital card on app is fine too. Both ways work, use whichever one you like.  I don’t think people will argue too much for one over the other.

One thing on lost tags, if you lose physical tag, you have to drive to a AZG&F license dealer and get new one for $4, and complete an affidavit if I remember right before you can “tag” it.  If I lose my phone I can sign into any other device and still e-tag it which could be a big deal depending on how far the nearest license dealer is when hunting.  It’s also very easy to transfer possession to someone else for transport using the e-tag  

For anyone who is curious what it looks like when you e-tag an animal, this was from my deer hunt in Nov:

IMG_8781.jpeg

• Like 1

Assuming you have cell phone service when you log in with another device. 

It would be great to have both - or be able to print E tag prior to tagging an animal- with the current system when you E Tag - it means you have killed.   

With the Etag  one has to remember to bring a pen (pens break/ dry out / hard to write).  on the other hand, I witnessed people not sign the paper tags - and always fun to watch them figure out how to sign without a pen.... o system is fool proof. 

Most likely one is not going to run into a warder miles away from the road, most wardens watch and wait by a vehicle or wait on a road.  If someone want to poach and not tag their animal it is very easy with paper tag or E Tag- 

Pros and Cons to both - with a few updates the E Tag will be good. 

• Like 1

For me the cons of the etag out way the benefits. The regular tag I just put in my wallet and use it when I harvest an animal. The etag, I had to still carry a piece of paper to attach to the animal, along with something to write on the paper, along with some kind of tape or something with enough strength to attach the paper to the animal without worrying about it coming lose or getting ripped off during a pack out, and a phone that has a charge. Pray your sharpie or pen works, especially if everything is wet. Hope your phone doesn't get bounced against something and get destroyed, or you forget a phone charger and you can't power it on. The only convenience I see with an etag, is you never worry about losing your tag. I tried it once and then went back to the physical tag.

• Like 4

Seems to me Etag would be more useful if you still didn't have to affix an actual tag/ tape with confirmation number on it. Confirmation number is on your app. that you used to Etag it. Why isn't that good enough? Show the number to the taxidermist/meat processor in order to get processed. It's all on your phone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DUG said:

Seems to me Etag would be more useful if you still didn't have to affix an actual tag/ tape with confirmation number on it. Confirmation number is on your app. that you used to Etag it. Why isn't that good enough? Show the number to the taxidermist/meat processor in order to get processed. It's all on your phone.

I'm sure game and fish doesn't want a bunch of animals in the back of trucks with no tags on them. Imagine all the calls for poaching they would get.  Makes sense to have something on the animal to me 

If there were more offices in AZ and they didn't have bankers hours of probably go for it but until they figure out the kiosks to much of a pita for guys that live too far from the offices..

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

It always was easy, but even easier now.  I also like the fact that maybe some more harvest surveys will get filled out.  It is a step in the right direction imo.  More harvest data = more accurate counts.  Mandatory reporting and check in would be ideal, but may be a long way off or never happen. 

It used to be kind of a pain to have 4 or 5 tags in your pack and have to keep shuffling them around depending on which pack or animals I planned to encounter.  Also just had an instance on Thursday where a buddy's paper pig tail got a little wet from the rain and it was an absolute pain to peel off the backing to apply it to the pig.  I managed to get enough sticky left on the tag to attach it, but it was close to no bueno.  

I guess I don’t know enough about it. Idk How Logging into my phone and doing a survey would be easier than shuffling through tags in my pack

10 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I guess I don’t know enough about it. Idk How Logging into my phone and doing a survey would be easier than shuffling through tags in my pack

And carrying a rolling of duct tape and a sharpie takes up less space?