Pine Donkey

This post is for the dogs

You always have some of the best pictures, Doug! Love seeing the pics of the 'adventures of Doug and Rica'! ;)

As you know, we lost out little Ruby a couple of weeks ago. Died way too young..... Here's a couple of pics in memorial to her. A lovely and sweet Vizsla, and Greta's best friend!

S.

PS: Hunterjohnny, sorry for your loss. Tough stuff.....

The day we picked her from the litter of 6 pups! Greta has grown a LOT since that day! ;)

gretaruby3.jpg

July 4th, 2010 in Flagstaff! The two of them used to love to hang-out in the grass together!

July4th20102044.jpg

After a fun evening of bird hunting in the fall of 2009!

December2009BirdHunting.jpg

Sorry Stanley and hunterjohnny that you lost your dog friends recently. Don't let your loss prevent you from getting another dog though....there are so many out there that need a good home....

This has always been my favorite post except when someone has to say good-bye to one of their dogs. They bring us so much joy and unconditional love in our lives. If only all the people were as kind and loving.

Hunterjohnny & Stanley.......sorry to hear of your loss. For me, it has always been one of the hardest things to go thru. I've found out that sharing stories of the good times and love our pets gave us really helps to start the mending process of a broken heart. Thank you both for sharing Daisy "Roo" and Ruby with us.

TJ

Here's our two new dependents" Bow & Maddie" about 1 year old Half Boxer and the other half unknown brother and sister. We adopted them about a month ago and Wow are they full of energy. They chew and dig a little if I don't let em run Jacks and chase squirrels every other day. They are already part of the family !

post-5066-0-99456100-1353254945_thumb.jpg

post-5066-0-39028500-1353255146_thumb.jpg

post-5066-0-18778300-1353255322_thumb.jpg

Heres my 3 @#$%heads. OSO the German Shepard who yes has his own sectional and the twins Elvis and Tucker. Lab Retriever mix who we picked up at the pound. OSO is 10 and getting a little grey and slow but the twins keep him young I think.

post-8784-0-49772700-1354159196_thumb.jpg

post-8784-0-92220600-1354159283_thumb.jpg

post-8784-0-97839300-1354159329_thumb.jpg

post-8784-0-70924400-1354159398_thumb.jpg

Suzy-bear got to go for a walk around the block today. first time since october.

Great news! Glad she is up and around again.

2 days ago, on the 16th, I said goodbye to the only living creature to put up with me for 19 years.

My JRT, Tango Von Spitzbuben joined his son JoJo Von Spitzbuben at the Big Dog Park In The Sky.

I'll miss you old boy, you were special.

2 days ago, on the 16th, I said goodbye to the only living creature to put up with me for 19 years. My JRT, Tango Von Spitzbuben joined his son JoJo Von Spitzbuben at the Big Dog Park In The Sky. I'll miss you old boy, you were special.

wow, 19 years old! that's a long run....sorry you lost your friend.

2 days ago, on the 16th, I said goodbye to the only living creature to put up with me for 19 years. My JRT, Tango Von Spitzbuben joined his son JoJo Von Spitzbuben at the Big Dog Park In The Sky. I'll miss you old boy, you were special.

Sorry to hear it. However, 19 years of great friendship is something special!

Tj tried to send you a PM. I am looking for someone, rather on this site, that breeds or has lab pups. Any help would be great. Thanks

I just discovered this thread. Thought I'd share our furry family members. We've always had German shepherds.

We got our female, Jake, in January 2001. She proved to be a handful from the get-go, but came around quickly with good training. She turned into the best trail dog ever as she frequently scared the snot (and other bodily fluids) out of border crossers (including armed ones) when we were hiking down there or she joined me on wildlife surveys in the Huachucas and on Ft. Huachuca. She's 11.5 now and retired from hiking for a couple of years now. She is my Energizer bunny that just keeps going and doesn't know how to quit. She's had bad hips her whole life, but her active lifestyle has kept her in the game. She's slower to get up these days, but she still gets up and meets me at the door every day when I get home!

post-4869-0-86595700-1368815793_thumb.jpg

post-4869-0-77629900-1368815730_thumb.jpg

post-4869-0-94136300-1368815692_thumb.jpg

Yes, she eventually ate the whole thing!

In January 2002, we brought home Thor, our big white male GSD. He started as a small 7 week-old puppy, but grew into a beautiful 108 lb boy who would turn heads and part crowds at the same time. Unfortunately, last June, we learned he had a cancerous tumor on his left front leg. We opted to have his leg amputated and begin treatments because his prognosis was good. Everything was going great until this past January. We took him to the vet because he wasn't feeling well. Chest x-rays revealed three new tumors in his chest and our vet said we had about a month, maybe two, before we'd see his quality of life drop. It wasn't even a month and we were devastated. Not long after that, he woke up a completely different dog than he was the day before and we couldn't watch him suffer. Three weeks to the day after we learned of his tumors, we called our vet and she came over that morning to put him at peace.

He wasn't a hunting dog, but he was one of our protectors. He wasn't a fan of most guys and, as a result, most guys kept a safe distance from my family. Anyone that would have tried to come in the house uninvited would have had to shoot him to get him to release his jaws from their throat. I watched him and Jake back down groups of 20+ illegal immigrants on the US/Mexico border, including some armed bad guys. He loved being outdoors with us and was on every camping trip, fishing trip, and a few hunting trips. My favorite day of elk shed hunting had him and Jake by my side. He wasn't named after a comic book hero, but the real Norse God. His bark was his hammer and that's all he ever needed to get his point across! He gave us 10 great years of loyalty, protection, and unconditional love. I know I will spend the rest of my life trying to be the human he thought I was.

He loved standing next to me when I was fishing. He loved to chase the lure or fly.

post-4869-0-33316600-1368815883_thumb.jpg

This is what happens when you leave a white GSD out in a February rain in Tucson.

post-4869-0-44414200-1368815923_thumb.jpg

Two pics from my favorite day of shed hunting, because they were with me.

post-4869-0-92928800-1368816153_thumb.jpg

post-4869-0-23712200-1368816128_thumb.jpg

A great pic from during a snow storm this past December, before we found out his cancer returned. His demeanor with our kids is every reason why there will always be at least one GSD in our house!

post-4869-0-74369800-1368816196_thumb.jpg

Within a week of losing Thor, the silence in the house was killing me and we started shopping for a new GSD. We were lucky to find a good deal on a litter with champion Czech bloodlines. We told our daughter this would be her puppy. A week and a half after saying goodbye to Thor, we brought this big boy home. She named him Odin, in honor of Thor. He’s 5 months old now and almost 60 pounds. He’s going to be BIG! He’s extremely smart and very well behaved. Jake didn’t care for him much at first and avoided him at all costs, but has since accepted him as part of her pack. She won’t play with him, but she tolerates him and puts him in his place when she needs to.

post-4869-0-94955900-1368816527_thumb.jpg

post-4869-0-05522600-1368816495_thumb.jpg

Jake showing tolerance finally

post-4869-0-29284300-1368816568_thumb.jpg

My daughter's puppy

post-4869-0-85400200-1368816586_thumb.jpg

I always seem to get a piece of dust or something in my eye when I read about people putting down their dogs. I remeber doing that about 22 years ago (when I was around 5) and I still to this day remember very closely. Having 4 dogs myself, I dread the day x4!