Sign in to follow this  
GRONG

Nice Bull

Scouted my tail off for elk prior to the hunt and in 3 weeks I saw a total of 3 bulls. It was nasty hot and I just couldn't find em. Checked most all the places I've seen them in the past and nothin! Was very discouraged going into the the hunt but a week before it started I got pics near a water hole of a real pretty 6pt bull I though would go mid 350's maybe. He was there 3 days in a row with about 20 cows. No idea where they came from but I didn't care. I set up my ground blind and opening morning I crawled into the blind at 4:30AM to the sounds of bulls bugling all around me. I got lucky and nobody else came in there. As it was getting light the elk were moving off and I never got to see one of them. My buddy Chris called me and said "You need to get over here and look at this thing, he BLOWS that 6pt you're hoping for away!!!" I bailed out of the blind and hiked over to him to see this bull bedded and boy was I shocked! First thing that came to mind seeing it's left side was THAT SIDE HAS TO BE 200"!!!!! We sat and took pics and video of him for most of the day as he just wouldn't stay bedded. He was all over the place keeping his 3 cows and one calf in close.

I don't mean to frustrate any of you that like all the details but to make a long story short I saw him 3 different days during my hunt and when I could no longer find him I moved a couple miles away to hunt near that water hole where most of the activity was at. Tues morning I was slowly hiking thru listening to the elk bugling when a bull started making that glunking sound right above me about 100 yards away. One short and quiet cow call later and here it came. His cows came by me to my right at 15 yards when I heard him push his antlers thru the trees. I saw that giant right G-3 peek around the next tree and I couldn't believe myself. I was at full draw when he came around that tree and he stopped broadside at 25 yards and bugled. That's when I sent that nasty ol 2-bladed RAGE on it's way!! Man I love those broadheads! They're wicked wicked heads for sure!!

I wasn't to far off on my guesses. His left 8pt side with a 58" beam scored at 195 6/8"!! Simply stunning! His right side comes off the front of it's head and is still 55" long and measures 153 6/8". Despite not even having a G2 at all on that side the antlers still gross scored 395 6/8"!!!! Truly a bull of a lifetime and I'm way stoked that I got to harvest one for myself, by myself, with my bow.

A very special thanks to my buddy Chris Gravatt who spent several days out there in the heat with me, helping me glass. Thanks to Gail Herrick, Tim Maddock, Lane Buck and Jimmy May who all pitched in to help me get him out. Luckily we got the truck to within about a third of a mile or so, so the pack out wasn't all that bad.

post-3-0-05883500-1316741229_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-63168000-1316741462_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-24376700-1316741707_thumb.jpg

i gotta get my laptop cleaned. when i saw that thing my toungue fell out and i gotta good taste o' my keyboard and it tastes really bad. now that's what i call a thug there. them broke pedicle bulls get some interesting horns. my youngest son shot one that had em on both sides. great bull. way to hunt hard and give us someone to be proud of. Lark.