Sign in to follow this  
GRONG

Dogman takes down a sweet buck!

Been looking forward to Dad's hunt for quite a while. Dad passed this buck Friday morning in hopes of finding a bigger buck. I told him he was nuts but told his friend Dave that it was his lucky day. We put a stalk on it he and ended up missing 4 shots at 350 yards. On Sunday we got on a really big 5x4 that Dad had seen during the archery hunt but things didn't work out too well. 2 other hunters' hunting style didn't go over to well with how we would like to hunt. These guys split up on separate ridges and talked back and forth to each other the whole time. The eventually blew a groups of does out and they spooked the big one. Boy was it frustrating..... Monday morning I went to a spot to look for the big 5x4 but never even saw a buck. Texted Dad and as of around 8am he hadn't seen a deer yet. Was thinking of moving when I heard a KABOOM!! I waited for a bit and BOOM-WOP!!! Could tell the 2nd shot connected. About 30 seconds later I got a text from Dad that said, that was me! A cow was staring at something below him all morning and Dad could never figure out what it was. He happened to look down again and caught a glimmer of antler of a buck bedded below him at a little over 200 yards! First shot missed and a buck came running out and took off. A 2nd buck got up and was making it's escape when Dad connected on that one. I had a bit of a hike and a 30 minute drive around to him and I finally got to see what he shot. It was the buck he passed opening morning! What a gorgeous buck it was too. I guessed it around 150 when I saw it alive on Friday but knew it was bigger standing over it. Haven't had a chance to measure it yet but it's probably mid 160's I'm guessing. Congrats Dad!

post-3-0-40925000-1319689689_thumb.jpg

This was also my boy Isaac's first deer hunt to attend with us so that was pretty special for sure. He had a blast too. To bad he had to get back to school on Monday when Dad shot his buck but at least he got to be with the guys for a couple days.

First night in the wall tent.

post-3-0-45298600-1319690824_thumb.jpg

Isaac getting lessons on firearms safety and accuracy with the ol .22

post-3-0-14413500-1319691001_thumb.jpg

I would glass, Isaac would excavate....

post-3-0-20212700-1319691183_thumb.jpg

We sat around the fire, Isaac made his own.....

post-3-0-15313400-1319691274_thumb.jpg

Isaac found his first mule deer antler all by himself.

post-3-0-45933100-1319691521_thumb.jpg

All that hard work makes a boy tired.... Can't wait till next year!!

post-3-0-96118300-1319691627_thumb.jpg

Really nice buck, and great story and pictures. Love to see the whole family out there hunting together. Just awesome.

My favorite picture of the group is your Dad and Isaac shooting the .22. I have similar pics of me and my grandpa doing the same thing when I was a kid.

Congrats to your Dad on the buck too.

Nice job Dogman! Looks like a bunch of fun was had.

I didnt know Dogman owned another hat besides his USMC hat.....

Now the tag has been filled lets get on lion tracks!

monty

very nice muley!

congrats!

james

Nice job!!! Looks like you guys had tons of fun!!!

Nice going guys and congrats to your Dad Josh!

I too love the pics of your boy doing his thing.

I got a good chuckle out of his fire.

Congrats Randy!! that's a great buck and I love all the pics of Isaac! My favorite is the one of him sitting by his own fire! How CUTE!!! Man, he is going to have a great outdoors life!!

Nice buck! Now I know why i could not find him. Im hoping the 4x5 made it another year, never saw him dead. As long as he was the one with short G2s and 5 on the right.