338EdgeMan

Ethical Bow Range

Deer in sight arrow in flight!!

If the carbon ain't fly'n the deer ain't die'n!

:D :D :D :P

I have a lot of respect for someone that shot a critter at under 20yds, spot and stalk. ...A LOT... Try shooting an antelope spot and stalk at under 30yds. I love the saying that archers brag about how far - bow hunters brag how close. Crap, I'm turning into and old fart. Well that's proof I've read too many of Larks posts.

cmc

This isn't directed at anyone, rather just my feelings on long range shooting in general.

I'm not sure why people will put the time and effort into learning how to shoot at extremely long distances with a bow (that are in most cases a sketchy shot in the field), instead of learning how to get closer or trying to get closer.

For example, in a spot and stalk situation make it your goal to get 30 yards away for a shot instead of 50. That way when you get hung up or he gets hung up a little farther out than expected it's at 50 yards not 70.

I guess I just don't understand the fascination with the long distance stuff even with rifle hunters. On the tv hunting shows I see guys taking 300 + yard shots regularly and for no reason. Telling me you can't get any closer than that is telling me you're not a very good hunter. Granted, some of those were necessary given the situation but a lot of them were not.

In the end it's just your mind set. Guys with traditional bows routinely take stuff 20 yards and under. 30 yards is considered a long shot.

Learning how to hunt differently and more effectively to get closer is just a lot more rewarding to me personally.

Bottom line what is ethical

Most important What you are capable of being the most accurate at .. Doesn't matter if your bow can send an arrow at lethal power if you can not clearly see the vital zone well enough to hit it

what you are comfortable with and confident you will be able to make the shot count ..hitting a vital area

• Like 1

ethics are up to the shooter....

everyone is different.

sure people can and do shoot out to 100 yds but the fact remains that at that distance with a bow a little off at say 20yds is huge at 70 80 or 100yds

I have a pin out to 70 but more comfortable 50yds and in at the range but I practice out to seventy.

I like to try to get as close as possible. year before last I missed 2 shots... 52yds and 48yds same day three hours apart from a ground blind. I have read on here seasoned bow hunters (which I am not) missing shots. stuff happens and happens fast. for me the key is to practice as much as possible so when in the field things feel natural and automatic. I even bring my bow to work and sneak out back for a little while :ph34r:.

but everyone knows when you get on a good 1 and the heart rate elevates it is a lot different than the range!

buck fever is real and can make anyone get the shakes and deep breathing! hard to hold the pin steady!

I think I read on here that when out scouting they try to stalk deer, elk or whatever so when the time comes for the hunt they are used to being around the animals and helps them keep control of the situation as far as the buck fever... can't remember who but it sounds like good advice.

just my thoughts.

james

The best answer is shoot as far as you feel comfortable with todays equipment it is possible to kill somthing at a hundred yards or more but the equipment is only as good as the shooter

No real ethical answer to this, every hunter, and his equipement are different. Alot of weight goes towards pratice and knowing how to use your equipement to its potential.

Practice long shoot close.

I like the idea of running around the house/archery range on a windy day and then checking your max range.

It is tough to pass up a risky shot at a good animal. But, a true sportsperson will do it.

Archery is a short range sport. If you just want to kill an animal then use a gun.

As far as you can shoot for hunting, some bow hunters that should be around 20 yards, if you can not hit your target 10 for 10 in a 3" radius past say 30 yards than go back to 10 yards and start over, having shot a bow the last 30 years and won alot of the local IBO tmt's shoting A class, I myself only hunt w/tails and 40 yards is my spot even if i could shot 0-60 yards on 3-d range no problem thats just where i set my hunting range, always put alot time shoting, then shoot some MORE until you don't have to think about it, only then, and only you will pick your range, hope this helps.

may your arrow always hit where your aiming and all the best that comes from sucess!!!

This summer take some time and go to a couple of the 3D tournaments that take place all over the state. I find it is an excellent way to practice shots that are close to hunting situations, with the pressure of a little competition helps with the nerves.

Kind of an archers MOA type of thing. Mulies vitals are indeed a good bit larger on our southern deer to the tune of 30 sq. in. or so. I tend to compare Pronghorn and coues vitals as roughly the same (approx 6" h x 8" w square), whereas mulies have maybe a 8" H x 10" kill zone on the conservative side. The idea being if you can hold 1" per 10 yard grouping (2" groups @ 20yards, 3" @ 30...etc), you should be able to shoot mulies farther than a coues.

for the guys that posted their range by animals - why the extra 30 yds for mule deer? They aren't that much bigger.

Deer in sight arrow in flight!!

If the carbon ain't fly'n the deer ain't die'n!

:D :D :D :P

+1

+3

I realize I may make some people mad, but this is MY OPINION, and the question was asked, so here it is:

I have been bowhunting since 1983. My bows are old and heavy, but I shoot 370 grain(including 85gr Thunderheads)Beaman Hunter about 315 fps on an overdraw. Some may be a little faster, but not a whole lot faster, and it is the speed that kills. My personal longest was about 55 yds on a 165 class whitetail standing broadside, stock still with NO wind, and I had no chance to get closer. He went about 30 yds before I found him. I practiced regularly at 60 yds at the time, and shot tournament and 3-D twice a week. I HAVE NEVER TAKEN THAT LONG OF A SHOT SINCE, AND WONT.

Arrow trajectory is pure science that most people can agree on(MOST)... Even my light little beaman, out that far is falling very fast. 60-62 yds is 3-1/2 inches, 62 to 64 yds is 4 inches, and so on. 80 to 82 yds is a full 5 inches of drop in 6 feet, think about that... Can you range an animal that close that far away? What about the wind? slope correction? What if he moves while you draw? A heavier arrow setup will help you with the wind at long distance, but will fall even faster...

No one has any bussiness shooting at ANYTHING out past 60 yards, period. Alot of people do it, and some are successful, some are lucky, but the vast majority just pissed away 15 bucks for an arrow and broadhead, and hopefully did not wound an animal in the process. There are just too many variables that come into play out that far.

For some folks, hunting is about honoring the animal with a skillful stalk, an ethical shot and a respectful harvest. The older I get, the more I tend to look at it this way. When I was younger it was all about inches of bone and body counts, and that's ok. I think we all go through that stage of our hunting career, and maybe we need to go through it, heck I don't know. Bottom line is you have to make the call for yourself, but approach it cautiously, you have to live with yourself after every shot, and the bad ones hang on long after the lucky ones have faded.

-SD