Non-Typical Solutions

Family Dispute

We were at the Phoenix Zoo this weekend taking the grandkids for a visit to see the animals.

We began to discuss why there were no elk in the Arizona exhibit. Then one of my sons made the comment that there were elk in 50% of Arizona so why did we need an exhibit at the zoo.

I quickly said absolutely not, maybe 10% of the state had elk in it at any given time.

So, if you were to take the state of Arizona and give elk a percentage areas where they are found. What would you give as a percentage?

Arizona has approximately 114,000 square miles, so my estimate would claim that approximately 14,000 square miles of Arizona a person could find elk.

Course my estimate was off the top of my head in an effort to dis-credit my son on his profound statement about there being elk in 50% of the state.

Just a fun question to see what you think would be a good percentage given to the area covered by our elk herds here in Arizona.

I am sure G&F has the answer to this question.

We were at the Phoenix Zoo this weekend taking the grandkids for a visit to see the animals.

We began to discuss why there were no elk in the Arizona exhibit. Then one of my sons made the comment that there were elk in 50% of Arizona so why did we need an exhibit at the zoo.

I quickly said absolutely not, maybe 10% of the state had elk in it at any given time.

So, if you were to take the state of Arizona and give elk a percentage areas where they are found. What would you give as a percentage?

Arizona has approximately 114,000 square miles, so my estimate would claim that approximately 14,000 square miles of Arizona a person could find elk.

Course my estimate was off the top of my head in an effort to dis-credit my son on his profound statement about there being elk in 50% of the state.

Just a fun question to see what you think would be a good percentage given to the area covered by our elk herds here in Arizona.

I am sure G&F has the answer to this question.

I would definately say there is not elk in 50% of the state!!

I don't know - if you classify the area that holds elk by hunting unit, and look at all the units in which you can hunt elk (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,15,16,17,18,19,21,22,23,24,27,28,31,32) then I think the kid may have you ;-)

Good for the kid LOL.

A friend of mine claimed to see one by the superstitions.

I once saw an elk in Phoenix.....but he didn't have any air in him!

My best friends dad, and several others have seen a herd by picacho, but I believe they escaped from the ostrich farm way back when.

I would say somewhere in between you and your kid would be the correct answer. Probably around the 20-30% range. Look at a map of the state and then map out the units that have elk hunts. Easily 20% of the state.

My best friends dad, and several others have seen a herd by picacho, but I believe they escaped from the ostrich farm way back when.

I recall seeing a pic of an elk in marana on the Internet. Looked very similar to the terrain near picacho. Had to have been an escaped elk though.

Id say probably around the high teens to 20%, if you include the reservations. Alot of the units that have elk hunts are not necessarily all elk habitat (i.e. 16a,21,22,23).

Thanks for the nice mental distraction for the draw fiasco.

I would say more than 10% more like 30%

Were talking pretty much the whole middle part of the state on the Rim to the grand canyon to the NM border. From there north to the Navajo rez and south to mt graham an all around there. That's a huge area and way more that 14000 square miles.