ACTS_238

Change of the Rules

I like the idea of the pool for points being made a lot larger. I also wish there were a loyalty point for those who buy a license every year, maybe after 3 years or so. This would help a little against those that only buy the license if they get drawn. Most on this site I am sure are buying a resident combo license every year and supporting the G&F regularly.

well, not to kick a certain popular (and active) member under the bus. But i know one particular member who has been drawn 20+ consecutive times for elk...

drawn, not drawn, successful, not successful... we would still be waiting every feb, june, and oct for the second tuesday year after year.

I wonder who that would be? Matt, let's get all the facts before everyone wants to throw me under the bus. :lol: It's been 24 yrs sraight and only because I play the odds. My unit was a 99% draw last year for archery bull, and I ended up with my second choice cow, and many years it was 100%. It's not luck it's just wanting to hunt what everyone else doesn't want.

It's not hard to figure out. I'm 17 for 23 so far and I'll continue to take what ya'll don't want. :)

TJ

• Like 1

Let it be, keep the draw running the way it does. The guys above validate the wait period well.

The only thing i would like to see implemented would be to have a Sr. Only hunt.

I am 37 and I agree with this. At the minimum I would like to see the Game and Fish make it to where we can donate our tags to the senior hunters in our family just like we can give tags to the junior hunters. I for one would really enjoy giving up an antelope or early bull tag to my dad or my wife's grandfather. To me hunting is about spending time with family and friends and the memories made. To have the opportunity to give back to my dad with a hunt and spend the hunt with him would mean a whole lot more to me than hunting the animal myself. Just my .02 worth.

I like the idea of the pool for points being made a lot larger. I also wish there were a loyalty point for those who buy a license every year, maybe after 3 years or so. This would help a little against those that only buy the license if they get drawn. Most on this site I am sure are buying a resident combo license every year and supporting the G&F regularly.

Im pretty sure now in the state of AZ you have to buy a lic to even apply

well, not to kick a certain popular (and active) member under the bus. But i know one particular member who has been drawn 20+ consecutive times for elk...

drawn, not drawn, successful, not successful... we would still be waiting every feb, june, and oct for the second tuesday year after year.

I wonder who that would be? Matt, let's get all the facts before everyone wants to throw me under the bus. :lol: It's been 24 yrs sraight and only because I play the odds. My unit was a 99% draw last year for archery bull, and I ended up with my second choice cow, and many years it was 100%. It's not luck it's just wanting to hunt what everyone else doesn't want.

It's not hard to figure out. I'm 17 for 23 so far and I'll continue to take what ya'll don't want. :)

TJ

Amen TJ!

I bet when the time comes when you are not able to go elk hunting anymore that you don't say I wish I could of hunted and drew more tags instead of waiting 10-15 years between tags and only hunted elk 2-3 times in my life.

I had a streak of 12 in a row, three archery bull tags and the rest archery cow tags when I was a little younger. Then I decided I only wanted an early good tag, drew two tags in 12 years. Last year I decided I would rather hunt more that wait, so now I'm on a new streak of two bull tags in a row. :-)

Brian

Im pretty sure now in the state of AZ you have to buy a lic to even apply

Yep my bad you have to fill it in to apply (at least on paper). For some reason I was thinking the online draw changed that.

I think we need to leave our draw the way it is! I apply in 5 or 6 western states every year, each one has its own point system or no point system and they all have their positives and negatives. I like that as a resident of AZ I have the chance, although it may be small it is still possible to draw a premium tag every year if that is what I chose to apply for, I have drawn some premium tags and I have also gone many years without a tag but that was my choice to build bonus points. TJ has chosen to play the odds in a different way than I do and he has had the opportunity to spend a lot of time hunting, while I may be sitting at home wishing I was!

Now that everyone knows if the were successful or unsuccessful in the draw, I'd like to say that I believe the AZ Game and Fish does a pretty good job on the draw, today is the 12th and they still have 8 days until the date they said they would have results available! we all get impatient wanting to know if we were drawn when it used to be late July when the results were out. Just my 2 cents worth.

One last thing I am over 100 in unsuccessful draws for sheep in 6 states I dont think there is any point system that can change that and still be fair to the youngsters that are just getting into the drawing pool, it is the luck of the draw.

Happy hunting and good luck in the next draw!

Vizsla-dog

I totally agree with a one year wait. I had a buddy who drew early bull archery 2 yrs in a row with his girlfriend. I was bummed. it was 3 yrs for me but 7 for my husband. I think a year is a fair wait

This topic comes up every year after the draw. And now, twice a year since there are two draws.

Even though I am 50/50 on a bonus point vs. preference point system. I think our current draw system should be left as is.

The one thing I like about a preference point system, is that a successful applicant has to wait their turn to draw again. Luck is not part of the equation. A premium hunt would take years to build points to draw, but that is not much different than those who are unlucky in the draw, and are building bonus points anyway.

A waiting period draw of say..3 years would not increase draw odds very much, but it would allow different people to draw a tag every year, and filter through the system.Maybe?

The best I ever did, was drawing a unit 27 archery bull tag twice in a row. That was in the early to mid 1990's. Rut hunt popularity really seemed to take off after that and draw odds fell significantly.

I like our draw system the way it is, the largest inequity that I see is the NR cap being met in the bonus point pool. I think a rule that said no more than half of NR tags can be allocated during the bonus point round would be fair.

Well said TJ and Brian well said ;) I am only at 8 in a row and have enjoy every tag I have had.

Once I draw my one premium tag, I might start going that way.

My dad has an archery tag this year, I think its time to start putting him and my brother in for high percentage bull and cow tags... I like elk hunting, and love elk meat!

I don't like the idea of having to sit out of the draw after drawing a tag. I like having a chance every year you put in. Squaring the points like Nevada would give you a chance of drawing every year, and would be more fair than Arizona's system for higher bonus point holders.

• Like 1