Sign in to follow this  
galiuro mountain man

Keelee's first buck

We had a great hunt. My daughter drew a tag this year so I put in a ton of time scouting different areas. She worked equally as hard getting to where she could shoot the 243. The night before I couldnt sleep at all, three hours of sleep at max and my dad said he didnt sleep either. I was more excited about her hunt than I was about my first hunt.

Opening morning we got out of camp early and the wind was howling. We got to where we were going to hunt before shooting light and spotted two does. Keelee couldnt see through her scope yet so we just watched them. Once she could see through her scope we decided to drive up into one of the saddles we glass from. As soon as we got there I spotted two smaller bucks at around 300 yards. The wind was so hard she couldnt stay steady on them and they trotted off. We followed them around the mountain, but never found them again.

I spotted another buck about 900 yards away across a canyon on the next mountain over. He was bedded so we snuck up to him. We got 35 yards from him and got ready, but when he jumped up he got behind some tall brush and Keelee couldnt see him. He turned and took off.

We were going to go glass another area, but saw people there and decided to head to camp early. My dad and I decided to go where we knew we wouldnt see anyone, and got some rest because it was going to be some rougher, steeper country.

We got an early start in the afternoon so we could go slower thinking that we didnt want to tire Keelee out, but she wanted to go faster, she kept right up with us on a pretty steep and rocky grade. When we hit the top my dad spotted the deer. They were close to a mile away, but we could see antlers shining so we went after them. We had to drop off the mountain we were on and cross a steep canyon to get to where we could see them again.

We got to the top of the other ridge and spotted the deer again. I got Keelee ready on the shooting stick and my dad ranged them. He whispered "212" and I told Keelee to hold it on the shoulder and squeeze. As she was getting on the buck the wid was blowing the rifle around some, and she was shaking, but as soon as she put her finger on the trigger she went smooth as glass.

The shot went off, and he dropped. My dad and I both say "hes down", and Keelee didnt even know what was going on, she just knew we were excited. We had her put the rifle down and look with her binos and she saw it. The smile I saw on her face was worth everything.

When we all got over there, we had time to only take a couple of pictures real quick. We also knew we werent getting him out that night, Im glad it cooled off good that night. When we got done with feild dressing we had 45 minutes of light to go two miles.

What impressed me about my daughter the most on this hunt was that she never complained one time, and she even wanted to help with field dressing without being asked. Now she wants to go out in January with me on archery hunts, and I told her any time.

post-152-0-83896400-1350533128_thumb.jpg

post-152-0-41670300-1350533169_thumb.jpg

post-152-0-11188600-1350533196_thumb.jpg

post-152-0-64857800-1350533278_thumb.jpg

Great looking buck! Congrats to your daughter filling her tag on a great deer the first one is the most memorable.

Amazing buck Keelee! Way to go and way to hang tough out there!!!

Great story and pictures says it all. Congratulations to Keelee and memories for everyone. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ