plang00

End Bonus Points!!

When it took me 8 years to draw my first elk tag I too was upset with the system. But if you truly want the opportunity to hunt elk then the system works just fine as you should be able to draw an elk tag every year or two. If you are sitting on 10,15, or even 20 bonus points then you can't be mad at the system then because you don't want to hunt elk, you want to hunt "trophy bulls" during the rut in units that are famous for big bulls. No system is perfect but I think that it works but could be improved.

What we need to do is find a way to make everyone pay for tags up front even if it is with credit cards that way we don't have rejected cards holding up the process. Also, find a company that is able to bring the online process up to par with other companies that deal with online services. No more bogged down servers that lead to extensions in the due date and the ability to handle its customers like any other business would.

• Like 2

I think Arizona has a great bonus point system in place, but it could be improved by squaring the points like Nevada does! The squared method would easily clear out top bonus point holders while keeping intact the 20% bonus point pass, and residents still allowed 80% of the random draw tags. The squared system is the fairest way to go IMO, because each additional bonus point will mean a whole lot more! In the current system a guy with 1 point gets 1 random number, while a guy with 5 points gets 5 random numbers. In the squared system it would be a totally different outcome when a guy with 1 point gets 1 random number, while a guy with 5 points gets 25 random numbers. I honestly think we'll see this system in place someday in Arizona; mainly because the current bonus points held by each hunter wouldn't have to change, it's fair by improving the odds significantly for a hunter who has applied for a longer period of time, it adds a ton of value to each additional bonus point gained, and it's not a preference point system!

• Like 3

" But if you truly want the opportunity to hunt elk then the system works just fine as you should be able to draw an elk tag every year or two. If you are sitting on 10,15, or even 20 bonus points then you can't be mad at the system then because you don't want to hunt elk, you want to hunt "trophy bulls" during the rut in units that are famous for big bulls. No system is perfect but I think that it works but could be improved."

Yes, this should be a sticky banner every year at this time.

I wouldnt change a thing with our bonus point system. While some with tons of points get their expected tags after reaching the needed points to draw, others can still draw without the needed points. I've had 4 elk tags, including unit 9 since 2008, and i never had max points for any of them. That's why i love our draw system. If your lucky, you can draw a tag every year. It's only the unlucky ones that are unhappy with the system, but what the unlucky one's need to realize that they could draw unit 9 the next 3 years in a row. As for non residents, well they are just hosed right out of the gate unless they have tons of points.

I wouldn't mind seeing the system changed just a bit. I liked what Utah does/did (not sure if it's still in place) with the two year wait period after you draw a tag.

I think Arizona has a great bonus point system in place, but it could be improved by squaring the points like Nevada does! The squared method would easily clear out top bonus point holders while keeping intact the 20% bonus point pass, and residents still allowed 80% of the random draw tags. The squared system is the fairest way to go IMO, because each additional bonus point will mean a whole lot more! In the current system a guy with 1 point gets 1 random number, while a guy with 5 points gets 5 random numbers. In the squared system it would be a totally different outcome when a guy with 1 point gets 1 random number, while a guy with 5 points gets 25 random numbers. I honestly think we'll see this system in place someday in Arizona; mainly because the current bonus points held by each hunter wouldn't have to change, it's fair by improving the odds significantly for a hunter who has applied for a longer period of time, it adds a ton of value to each additional bonus point gained, and it's not a preference point system!

I think this sounds reasonable without overhauling the whole system yet giving higher bonus point applicants a little better odds for draw. Nothings perfect but I bet there is alittle bit better way of spreading the tags out alil more.

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind seeing the system changed just a bit. I liked what Utah does/did (not sure if it's still in place) with the two year wait period after you draw a tag

That would suck for the guys like me that put in for the less desired tags and get to hunt every year. Hope that never happens in AZ I like to hunt elk every year even if it is not a rut tag.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind seeing the system changed just a bit. I liked what Utah does/did (not sure if it's still in place) with the two year wait period after you draw a tag

That would suck for the guys like me that put in for the less desired tags and get to hunt every year. Hope that never happens in AZ I like to hunt elk every year even if it is not a rut tag.

I'm sure he's suggesting a wait period on rut tags only. Or the "most desirable" tags in the waiting period category.

I wouldn't mind seeing the system changed just a bit. I liked what Utah does/did (not sure if it's still in place) with the two year wait period after you draw a tag.

We had a 3-yr. wait here in AZ for years for elk and antelope. Once computers became widely used, they showed how statistically insignificant it was in the grand scheme of the odds.

• Like 2

We had a 3-yr. wait here in AZ for years for elk and antelope. Once computers became widely used, they showed how statistically insignificant it was in the grand scheme of the odds.

And they don't get $7.50 from you for three years.

• Like 1

Not sure why all the crying about the wait. What wait?? At no time in all the years I have put in for a tag has G&F not had results posted and my tag to me well before the date posted in my hunting regulations. Plus I find the wait entertaining to watch on here! lol The anticipation kills me also but all part of the experience I think!

• Like 1

I like how the system is now for the type of hunts I apply for. I could see how guys with 20 points are upset, but they are also applying for premium hunts. Nobody that has 20 points has probably ever thought of applying for the hunts that I have drawn.

I'm thinking of applying for early archery first choice, late archery second choice from now on. The unit I'll be applying for would give me a chance to draw a bull tag 4 out of 5 years. Even if my success rate is below 20% I'm still going to kill more elk in my life than someone applying for unit 9 early rifle every year. Of course the elk I kill will probably be in the 290"-330" range instead of 360"+, but I'll be in the field with my bow almost every year.

I apply for premium hunts in NM so when I do get lucky over there and pay the $780 tag fee I'll get to go on a premium hunt.

• Like 1