tjhunt2

Peg scores on a nice tom

Ever since Peg and I attended Scott & Darr's turkey seminar, held at BassPro, Peg has been more excited as I've ever seen her about a hunt. Well, I forgot we had the early hunt so Peg missed out on the first half and had to wait till the second season came in on the 10th. I took a lot of heat over that blunder and was determined to make it up to her. We were up at 3:30am Fri. and was patiently waiting on the sun to rise with no gobbers or any sign of birds this morning. Back to camp for lunch and I was off to check some other spots I had picked out earlier in the season. As I was looking for a roost tree I hear a gobble over the hill not more than 75yrds I suspect. It was 1:30 pm and I quickly setup a blind while the tom continues to gobble at the noise I was making. If only Peg had been with me instead of taking a nap in camp. Peg was glad to hear I had found some good sign and we were off to our new location for the evening hunt. As we parked our quad and unloaded our gear we see a gobbler & hen walk across the ridge. Dang we were an hour to late. We rush to get in position but the birds had seen us and were off for parts unknown. This had always been a good roost area and I was hoping it still was even though I hadn't found the tree. We settled in our blind and I realized I had forgotten not only my box call but had left the decoy lying on the ground next to the quad in all the exciement. A tom shows up at 60 yrds. We were at the mercy of the turkies without all my gear. :o

For over an hour before dark this gobbler and 4 hens put on a show and stayed just out of Peg's shooting range. We were lucky to have the tom fly up to roost for the night 125yrds from our blind. Perfect, I was thinking, and feeling pretty good about our location for in the morning. Peg and I waited for dark so we could sneak out of there. Peg normally has a hard time getting up in the mornings but not this morning. Watching the show that gobbler put on the night before had her all fired up. The reason for the blind is so Peg can do all her moving around. She can't sit still long enough for a mesquito to bite her. :lol:

A quick breakfast, in the blind before light and the decoy in place with my call in hand. The tom gobbles several times as we wait for first light. We hear it fly down and I let out a call which he responded with a gobble. Then I start to hear hens and they continue their show from the night before. A hen moves towards our blind and passes within 20yrds with the tom in purusuit of her. I open a back window and there is the tom at full strut and Peg can't get the gun up in time before the hen heard us and game over. The hen takes her boyfriend with her over the ridge and out of sight. We both look at each other in disbelief. :( I tell her he might be back looking for the other hens and we sit and wait. I call a few times but nothing. After an hour I see him coming towards our setup. The wind has picked up and I give my best impression of a hen in need. He hears my call and approaches very slowly trying to locate a hen. He hangs up at 50 yrds and I call again. Bingo! He sees my decoy and slowly struts and gobbles to within 15yrds of an open window and Peg piled him up. I was out of the blind in record time and making sure he wasn't going anywhere. Hugs and kisses and one happy girl. First thing out of Peg's mouth was " you sucked yesterday as a quide but made up for it today and it's bigger than yours." Then she said it was like watching Scott & Darr's video all over again.

There was a father & son group camped next to us and Peg shared most of her feathers from her turky with the kids. They took a few pictures and then we gave them a lesson in gutting. The kids were so excited with the whole process. It made our day to have shared it with them. Muley 22, from this site, was part of the group and he assisted Peg and I with the picture taking. Thank you Maxs and it was a pleasure to have met you and your two boys Eastman and Tellman.

My computer is in the shop so pictures will have to wait. Sorry! Thanks for taking the time to read. :)

TJ

post-1903-0-32296700-1368933119_thumb.jpg

post-1903-0-76714900-1368933261_thumb.jpg

post-1903-0-18570800-1368933305_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

tj,

very cool, congrats on a late season gobbler, and way to stick with it...

tommy

Whoop whoop! Atta' girl Peg!!! Way to call 'em in TJ, I don't know what Peg is talking about, I think you are a pretty good guide :D I can't wait to see the pictures!!!

Hey Congrats to Peg!!! TJ do we need to get you some brain medication???? :P :D Yes post pictures up when you can.

And keep us posted on the Mexico hunt, about getting a group together to hunt.

That's awesome TJ. Huge congrats to Peg, and nice job on the write-up. Now we need some pictures!!!

A huge CONGRATS to Peg!!! Way to drop the hammer on that Tom. Good Job TJ on getting Peg out there and helping her get a bird on the ground. Can't wait to see some pics!

-Tracy

All Righty Then good job TJ for calling and Peg for bagging a bigger bird. Restlessly waiting for pics.

Awesome! I can't wait to get out this weekend.

Peg, great job, not just in bagging a bird, but for not shooting TJ when he forgot the call and decoys!

Can't wait to see the pics!