Big Browns

Big Browns Offical Bear Story (Long story)

Official story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This story really began on Sunday June 30 when I received a call from by friend Lonne. Lonne had just returned home from one of his many hopeful Bear hunting trips. Lonne and I had both drawn Spring Archery Bear tags in the same unit. Lonne has spent countless hours scouting, Hiking, Sweating and Hunting. I however have spent absolutely ZERO time on my spring hunt. In fact I have not been very motivated to do anything for some time now. Hearing Lonnes story really motivated me to get my butt in gear and start hunting.

Monday morning I receive a call from another friend Keith Kidso, AKA Bear Spooner. Keith infomred me he had just shot a Bear. Keith also had a Spring Archery Bear tag, but in another Unit. I was so excited for him I could barely stand it! Unfortunately I had to continue working, but my heart was there in spirit. Hearing about Keiths success and Lonnes many stories was just what I needed to get inspired to go hunting. That afternoon I advised my supervisor that I would be taking Wednesday off so I could go after a Bear.

3 A.M. Wednesday morning arrived with a buzzing alarm clock. As usual with most of my early morning alarms I rolled over and turned the alarm off and went back to sleep. I woke up several hours later with the overwhelming feeling of disgust and disappointment in my self. I decided that since I got up late I would go ahead and go to work and maybe I would leave early and try hunting the afternoon. I called my best friend Jim on my way to work and informed him that I had again turned my alarm off and I was planning on leaving work early to give it another try. We both knew that I would more than likely make some excuse why I was unable to hunt the afternoon. I have become very lazy over the past year and seem to come up with many excuses to not go out!

At 1:30 P.M. I called Jim and informed him that I had left work and was headed home to pack my stuff to go after a Bear. Even then we both knew I would still probably make an excuse to not go and to watch Deadliest Catch episodes. Thats why it was to both Jim and I surprise when I called him an hour later saying I was on the highway to my destination. I was extremely happy and proud of myself for getting out again. I really had no expectation of getting a Bear. I just wanted to get out of the house and start hiking.

I had intended to go to a spot that I had hiked the previous year. While in route I remembered a water hole that I had looked at several years ago. That water hole had numerous Bear tracks on it this same time period of that year. I called Jim and informed him that I had changed my plan and was headed to another destination. This was no surprise to Jim. Over the years I consistantly change my hunting plans due to over thinking things or out of lazyness. Usually the later!

I arrived at the water hole about 4:52. There were several old Bear tracks, but not enough evidence to give me the confidence to sit and wait. I have very little patience to sit water without a lot of tracks. Who am I kidding, I have very little patience ever. I called Jim and informed him of the tracks and that I was going to walk to the edge of the canyon and attempt my first ever predator calling sequence for a Bear.

I walked about ½ mile further to the edge of a canyon and draw. I had a decent clearing in front and to the right and left of me. I ranged all the open areas and mentally took note of the ranges. I knocked an arrow and set up to start calling. I remember thinking this is so stupid; this is not going to work. I put my negative feeling aside and set my phone timer for 20 minutes. I was planning on calling for 20 minutes and moving further down the canyon to look for water.

I put the call in my mouth and started calling. I was changing the sound about every 20 seconds. I was doing my best to sound as much like a dying rabbit as possible, the problem was I had no idea what that really was supposed to sound like. I was constantly looking right, left, behind me and forward for any sign of life. I had ZERO confidence that this would work. At about the 8 minute mark I heard a loud noise down the hill to my right. I looked over and to my complete surprise and amazement I saw a Bear coming out of the bushes. The Bear was trotting in my direction about 80 yards away. I was so stunned and amazed that I could barely breathe. I knew I had to keep calling or the Bear might loose interest. The problem was I could barely breathe. I kept calling while at the same time I took my hand off the call and placed it on my release. I lost sight of the Bear as it walked down the hill. At this time I was shaking so badly I could barely hold my bow up. Not of fear, but complete excitement and fulfillment. About 20 seconds later the Bears head came into view while it climbed up some rocks about 30 yards in front of me. I immediately stopped calling so the Bear wouldnt pin me. The Bear continued looking around while walking toward me. The Bear walked about 20 yards and stopped. The Bear was now at 13 yards. It was looking around while quartering a little to my right, its left. I drew back and put my 20 yard pin on its shoulder and was totally shocked when I herd the WACK and immediately saw the Bear start spinning. I could see that I had made a perfect shot and the arrow fletching was sticking out of the Bear about 5 inches. The Bear continued rolling and spinning until it turned and jumped off a small cliff and out of my sight.

I was immediately overwhelmed with emotion. My hands were shaking so badly I could barely get the phone out of my pocket. I called Jim and informed him of my unlikely success. Jim was as surprised as I was. We were both extremely excited and SHOCKED that calling actually worked!

I stared to make my way down the hill to the last spot I had seen the Bear. As I was walking down I walked into 2 Gopher snakes. I really, really hate snakes! To my surprise I was able to keep my self together and continue on. As I made my way to the edge of the drop off I was able to locate several drops of blood. When I looked over the edge I saw a rock that had a HUGE splatter of blood on it. I had assumed that was the spot the Bear had landed when it jumped down. I continued looking to my right when I saw the Bear laying on its back with its feet in the air lodged between two boulders about 30 yards away. I was so relieved to have found my Bear! I started yelling and screaming with excitement! I called Jim to inform him that I found the Bear. Jim was extremely relieved and very excited!

Like most hunters. I started taking pictures and texting them to EVERYONE I know. It was a very exciting time. I made several calls to friends to let them know I has killed a Bear and could use some assistance. Thankfully Lonne was more than happy to help.

I was able to get the Bear gutted and packed to the truck. About that time Lonne arrived and we began the skinning process. Thankfully Lonne was more prepared than I was and brought all the necessary equipment. We worked on the Bear for about an hour and then continued home to end a very exciting day.

This was my first time ever calling for Bears and my very first Archery Bear. This was one of my most memorable and exciting days ever!

I really want to say thanks to my good friends Lonne and Keith for helping me get motivated and off my lazy butt.

Thank you Jim for being my best friend and for sharing in this experience. You were there in spirit!

If you look at the 3rd picture you will see the closest hill side to the right. The area witht he thick green bushes is where the Bear came from.

Adam

post-1205-0-73860300-1373051702_thumb.jpeg

post-1205-0-94975500-1373051753_thumb.jpg

post-1205-0-19695300-1373051768_thumb.jpg

post-1205-0-81097700-1373051786_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Congrats again Adam. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. I have only known you a little while but I know you have been after a bear since we met and you were able to get r done!

That is awesome I have tried calling bears with no success congrats on yours.

Great jobs, boots on the ground is the only way to get the job done.

Once again Adam I would like to congratulate you on your bear and a great story to go along with it. I felt your excitement unfold as you told your story. Even though we've never met I feel like I know you and I'm really happy for your success thanks to cwt. Isn't this a great site? However you decide to have him mounted will bring you a lifetime of memories. Thanks a bunch for sharing it all with us.

TJ

Thanks alot guys! I really appreciate all your posititve comments. I forgot to mention something important.

While I was having pictures taken I considered taking my shirt of and laying down next to the Bear. I figured I wouild definately win the sexiest bear picture. Then I considered all the crap I would get and how disapointed Keith would feel for not having the sexiest bear picture award. So once again Keith, you still own the sexiest bear picture award! Maybe next time. LOL!

Adam

• Like 1

Thanks alot guys! I really appreciate all your posititve comments. I forgot to mention something important.

While I was having pictures taken I considered taking my shirt of and laying down next to the Bear. I figured I wouild definately win the sexiest bear picture. Then I considered all the crap I would get and how disapointed Keith would feel for not having the sexiest bear picture award. So once again Keith, you still own the sexiest bear picture award! Maybe next time. LOL!

Adam

Thanks for allowing me to keep that "dubious award" for now, but I'm sure someone will claim it during the upcoming fall season! Seriously though, once you have hand-called a bear and experienced that rush, it is tough to return to other modes of hunting bear. I trust you are now becoming a true believer in calling bears and your confidence will increase the longer you call over time. I'm extremely happy for your success and hope you can repeat it next year! Congratulations again!

• Like 2

Great story Adam.Felt like I was right there with you.Congrats again

congrats!

great write up! what a rush!

James

Awesome job Adam! There is nothing like hunting animals at the top of the food chain!

Here is a pic of what I saw as I looked over the edge where I last saw the Bear go. You can see the Bear in the upper section in the shadow of the boulder.

Adam

post-1205-0-94714400-1373069509_thumb.jpg