Sign in to follow this  
PelaPapas

4-12x40 or 3-9x40?

I've mostly always used 3-9x40mm scopes. Looking at the Vortex Diamondback & Crossfire lineup. Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 w/BDC reticle runs about $190-200. Same goes with the 4-12x40 model. The Crossfire model with "AO", 4-12x50 model runs about $200 on Amazon.

Is there any big advantages having a scope with adjustable objective? Should I go with higher 4-12x40/4-12x50 magnification or stick with 3-9x40?

Any big difference between the Diamondback & Crossfire line?

Sorry for all the questions ^_^ , just trying to see what the best choice would be. Any input is appreciated.

IMO the extra magnification is a big advantage, especially for small coues sized targets. I have a Burris 4.5 - 14 x 42 with the balistic reticle. It works well on my .270, but it seems most ballistic reticles are optimized for .30 cal ballistics. Buy the best quality you can afford...or save in a reasonable time. I keep thinking of upgrading, but the Burris has served me well so far. I haven't looked through a Vortex scope and not sure of the reliability of the two models you mention. I understand their upper end scopes are very good.

I think higher magnification is nice if you dial your turrets for longer shots. The rapid z reticle on my conquest is only accurate at 8.5 power on my 9x scope based on my bullet and muzzle velocity. I am just saying that if you are using a bullet drop compensation reticle you might not get to use all of your magnification. I would say my 9x scope is great out to 500 yards, which is as far as I will shoot anyways.

no hurry, deer season is a ways off, put aside $50 to $100 a month and get into better quality glass. When people ask what the extra couple hundred dollars buys me I would tell them time, as in 15 to 20 minutes sooner & later shooting clarity than cheaper glass. Can't go wrong with Leupold or upper echelon Vortex for their lifetime warranty, stuff happens on hunts, slips, falls, horse wrecks, etc, nice to send in a broke scope and get it fixed or replaced.

I've got 4-12's and 4.5-14's, like them better than my 3-9's, get a 50mm F.O. if you can, helps buy a little more time, may have to put a cheek pad on the comb to get your eye at the proper height

These guys gave good advice luepold vari x 2s are 550 with target knobs try and save..the crossfire line will frustrate you. I speak from experience two weeks before deer season while sighting in my rifle the inner lens flopped over and scope had to be sent off the second time. You will be utilizing the warranty not dogging vortex the upper end has some satisfied people . There are quite a few nice scopes out there for a little more. good luck

More is better!

4-12 for sure. I have the Viper 6.5-20x50 and LOVE IT! I don't feel like I can do anything with a 3-9.

Vowell has a Crossfire for sell in the classifieds if you are looking to save a little money. It has a little extra magnification 3.5 x 10 and a 44MM objective (little more light with out having to go with high mounts).

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/46338-vortex-scopes-diamondback-crossfire/

Thanks for everyone's input. I was leaning towards the 4-12x40 so looks like I might have to check it out! I am going to look into the Leupold scopes as well. Thanks again to everyone!

Leupold is all I will ever buy I like the 4.5-14x40 is on 2 of my guns. I say go with the vx 3 or vx 2. I have looked at the 3.5-10x40 and liked them just have not got one yet but will one day

I have a crossfire on my 22lr. I have vipers on my hunting guns. Go with the viper 4-12x40 or the 6.5-20x44 or 6.5-20x50. You will be glad you did.

Do not buy the crossfire 1. Vortex redid the crossfire and the crossfire 2 is much better. In fact, I like it better than the current diamondback. If you get a crossfire or diamondback, get one with the AO. You will have focusing issues at certain yardages on certain powers if you do not get the AO. The AO allows you to adjust for that and also adjust the parallax. The vipers have a side focus/parallax knob and the focus is much better on these scopes.

I love the crossfire, but I wouldn't put it on anything bigger than a 17hmr. Its a great scope for the bottom of the line, but I would suggest to save up and buy the viper for a hunting gun, it's worth it. Run down to Sportsmans and look through a few.

look here:

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviper4-12x40

I have been happy with my viper 6.5-20x44, bought it when they were on sale at camerland, which was a steal. Been happy with it so far. Not quite as clear as my vx-III but its pretty close! I would definitly try to get a viper if you can.

I wanted a 4x12 on my 257 weatherby but at the time budget was the big issue so I settled for a 3x9. It works fine, but I still wish I had gotten the 4x12. Get what you want or you will always want what you didn't get.

I am enjoying my Redfield Revolution with AccuRange reticle. Great scope so far other than I wish I had gotten the 4x12. I am planning on getting the 4x12 for this rifle and putting the current 3x9 on another rifle that needs a decent scope though so it will work out fine.