Sign in to follow this  
Swivelhead

Monkey Wrenching near HappyJack

Friend of mine who is active in an OHV club forwarded this to me. Apparently somebody is doing some "monkey wrenching" up north. Forest Service let his club know about the problem.

From a Forest Service LEO:

Please share with folks in the field and contact LEO if anybody comes across this type of thing on the Flagstaff RD.

I RECOVERED ANOTHER SPIKE IN AN OHV TRACK OFF OF FR 630A THIS MORNING.

FYI… On the Mogollon Rim on 7-11, I received 2 reports of rebar shaped into punji sticks and placed on or near forest roads. The rebar is responsible for damaging 8 tires today. The rebar has been reported in two locations about 3 miles apart near Happy Jack Lodge. I recovered 5 of the punji stick style pieces of rebar from an OHV track near FR 702. Undoubtedly, the rebar has been purposed to puncture tires. The end of the rebar has been flattened and sharpened to a point and the exposed point has been painted to blend in with the road surface. The objects pose serious risks to walkers and animals as well.

So far it seems that the MO is for the rebar to be placed in areas frequented by OHV’s at a choke point where there is a tight lane of travel.

post-6038-0-90245100-1405455055_thumb.jpeg

dang thats messed up...someone could get killed if they fall on one of those

I suppose these jerks figure its ok for a horse or mule to step on one of these if it saves a tree?

Wow, that's shocking.....that takes some serious effort to make....what kind of tools are neccessary to bend and shape rebar? And they look like they are painted to be less visible....wow...

any plumbing torch can heat rebar enough to bend - most likely bottled air /acetylene set-up for cutting metal to be able to get it hot enough to shape

I've had one in my tire from kaibab before. Not the same set up but the tire shop said he found a bunch in people's tires during that hunt.

I don't understand the point of them especially in the summer. These people obviously don't know or care about the danger they put people in with something like this.

I'm young and able and could find my way out by foot if need be but not everyone enjoying the outdoors is going to be able to hoof it.

Just thinking if my mom or grandpa had a couple tires blown with no one around to help. What happens if It happens to a family out for a drive in the winter?

Either they don't think through how their actions can dramatically effect someone's day out or they carry more respect for animal and plant life than humans?

Thanks for the information! These spikes could hurt alot of people and animals (both domesticated and wild). Obviously these people don't care about the general public. Why spike an established 2 track? The trail is already there.....idiots.

A few years ago, I came across a number of campsites in unit 22 that were littered with nails and screws. Some jokers thought they could give hunters flat tires. I tried to pick alot of them up, but between numerous sites there were hundreds of screws and nails. It was during the HAM hunt and I ran into Game and Fish up there and reported it, not sure what ever happened.

You just never know.

If a horse or mule steps on one of these, they will almost certainly have to be put down

Glad this info got posted. I just saw it on another forum I frequent. Hope the perps don't get caught.....just sayin'....... :ph34r: :o :angry: <_<

well I for one would guess that there animal rights activists don't want you out there hunting! what other explanation could there be? do you think any non anti hunter would be so malicious?

Sad thing is that there is a high possibility of this idiot being a fellow "hunter" trying to elude people from coming into "his spots", you never know, people do some stupid sh$t sometimes and a lot of the times its not even the kind of people you would expect to do it. Who ever it is must do it at night cause with the way that rebar is shaped it looks like it has to be dug in somewhat so to do that I'm sure he/she/it wouldn't be out in the middle of the day digging up roads where anyone could come along and see them.

• Like 1

Eco-terrorism.

Animal Liberation Front(ALF), PETA, Greenpeace, Sea Sheperd Conservation Society....they're all the same and have but one goal: save the animals/trees at all costs.

• Like 1