Sign in to follow this  
Guest akaspecials

Desert Recluse

Yikes!! Good to hear you are ok! That is some scary stuff.

• Like 1

A friend of mine almost lost his leg from a spider bite that got staph a few years ago. He spent the better part of a week in the hospital and was literally about 30 minutes from losing his leg from above the knee down.

Scary stuff. Glad you are ok.

Glad you are okay. Very good advice to all of us. Good luck chasing the bears and deer!

Crazy story!

Thanks for posting it and advising people on what can happen to you if you procrastinate!

Happy to hear you made it through.

"Moral of the story though, don't be so damned bull headed and don't be afraid to seek help. You can't show how "manly" and "strong" you are if you're dead... "

This makes me chuckle!

I'm glad it turned out OK!

• Like 1

Sounds like you are one lucky man! Those recluse bites are no joke! I got a good laugh from your message since I am the same age as you and pretty bull headed but you got me thinking.

When x wife left she and kiddos got apartment in north scottsdale and both my kids ended up with recluse bites within a month from that place.. son was sitting on couch by me and I actually felt heat from his leg and I looked at it and it was huge red hot area with blisters. his just required popping blisters anddoc said get antibiotic and if it doesnt reverse start meds..

Daughters appeared behind knee looked like a monster disgusting pimple I lanced and treated with peroxide and antibiotic cream and bandaged and sent her to her dads for weekend (im stepdad) when she returned to moms their mom sent me pic and i immediately went and picked her up and took to doctors where they had to carve out all necrotic tissue to stop it from eating her tissue..

Sounds like you got 1 of the wicked ones! glad your ok and also glad your using this to help warn others.. bud I have numbed up and kept going in the past and it has NEVER turned out to be the right choice. leave the countryside and get your rear at least into the city just incase. prayers said for your 100% Recovery

Thanks for sharing your story and for telling people to seek medical care early. We have a somewhat similar story recently from when my husband got bit by a tick. he got very sick, but we did not wait and got him treatment right away for spotted fever. If we had not read about that disease before hand we might have done the usual....just tough it out and see if he gets better. I am glad we didn't because it can be fatal if you delay treatment by just a couple days. I am so glad you got treated and are doing better!

Good info, glad you are okay.

Is the staff from it not being cleaned properly or part of some issue with e a recluse bite?

I ask because it would be good to know what the most important aspect of caring for the bite is to avoid what you went through.