MULEPACKHUNTER

Monday Check in

Been getting out hunting every other day while carrying a pack and rifle. Yesterday was a little tough with the heat but I took plenty of water and know when to cool down in the shade.

Coming back from back to back Giardia, a broken leg and Whooping Cough while in your 50s is not easy, but feel like I've turned the corner..

Weighed in at 215 this morning, down about 15 pounds since starting. Energy way up.

• Like 2

Pre emptive check in. I am happy with my week. I made a 4 miler flat ground Monday. Stopped for a quick hilly trail 3 miler Tues. Got in an accidental 6 miler wed since I took a wrong turn and ended up having to go around deems mnt thru some nasty mosquito's. Managed a lake swim and 4 mile run Thur then took a break until a good hard 4 miler this evening. I didn't get anything but runs in but it was a good week. Let's start all over on Monday guys and girls.

• Like 1

I've been at work. Diet needs work, but getting plenty of excorcise. Throwing 50lb sacks of chemical. Rigging up and down equipment. Lots of moving heavy hoses, etc. no running this time, which bums me out. I'll be getting miles in chasing quail on days off.

• Like 1

Happy to report that the knee is doing better and I am back to walking or jogging 30 minutes a day, plus about 30 minutes of weights a day. Plan to be upping my cardio time to an hour a day over the next few days. Been stuck on location since the 19th, but we should TD tonight or tomorrow morning and get to go home for a week. Diet is still going great, though I did have a craving for pizza the other day. Fought through it with a huge salad and some brussel sprouts and stayed the course.

• Like 1

Another excellent week of nutrient dense eating for me......did a bunch more hard hikes and some easier ones....feeling good....started new project out in sierra vista so will be out here all week.

• Like 1

I'm staying at 202 - 203 and getting thinner. Eating is back on track and my clothes keep getting magically larger and my face is shrinking - but the scale is not budging. Not to worry. It will.

My workouts are intense and have stayed the same. Now I've added uphill hiking on an incline treadmill a few days a week (I live in the middle of flat lander ville, so I have to find other methods to get elk country training). At least with an incline-hiker machine I can get a continuous or widely varied uphill for as long as I need to meet a training requirement.

Here's a typical one-hour incline hiker session - 2600+ vertical rise, approx 2.7 miles and 1000 calories in the dustbin.

onehourinclineworkout.jpg

I like the ability to track progress with a machine. When I weighed 240-245 I used to take 22 to 24 minutes to do a 1000 vertical foot stress test. I've worked that down to 16:05 and hope to see 14:59 or lower before my hunt.

The MOST important thing with the incline machines is NO holding the bar at the top of the machine. Let your arms, legs and back move like you would on a hunt. Nature doesn't have handrails. I see people holding the top bar all the time, effectively taking the incline out of the exercise. Makes you feel like a stud but doesn't do much. I remind myself to keep it as close to hunting as possible and use lots of muscle groups.

It's been a good year. I'm glad I finally started.

• Like 1

205 and in need of some new pants.

I think it's time to donate some old camo. It might keep me from creeping backwards if I have the buy the big stuff again.

• Like 1

Well I have found that the stress and time requirements of trying to handle my Mom being hospitalized has cut a little into my progress but I am still losing slowly and getting stronger in the process.... One month until my hunt and I am down 79 lbs since 1/1/14 ... It I am shooting for at least 10 -12 more lbs before hunt starts and will be kicking the strength training and cardio a couple notches ...

• Like 2

my friend is getting married, I gotta lose like 12lbs in 4 days so its easier to pick up brides maids.

That'll keep a man motivated. Shed it like you mean it.

Shred bro. Being shredded isn't everything, it's the only thing.

i love when the naturally skinny get into a fatt guy thread. I love you trphyhuntr! I've been hitting the micro's hard as he!l the past month, only having macro's after I hike around the house. I'm still fat bro, what gives?