Sign in to follow this  
azcouesfanatic

"Humbled"

I have been pretty fortunate over the years to have some truly amazing tags in Arizona. One place I had never hunted was the Arizona Strip. I had heard the rumors of low deer density and how difficult it was to even find deer but the challenge did not stop me from applying. Being the hunting nut that I am I handle all the applications in the family. This is a pretty tall task to say the least because I typically apply for over 15 people. When AZGFD starting hitting cards I new that someone had drawn a strip tag. It was either my dad or myself who had pulled this once in a lifetime tag. Selfishly I was hoping I drew but either way it did not matter. Before the results were even posted I called Brec Bundy of Mule Deer Addiction Outfitters (MDA) and told him the good news. Knowing this was a once in a lifetime tag we were going to hunt with Brec. Brec was born and raised in St. George, Utah and he has grown up hunting the Arizona Strip. Besides his vast knowledge of the country he is a truly great guy who is easy going and up front. When the results were posted it was dad who drew the tag and I was very excited. My dad is an elk nut and he enjoys mule deer but I am not sure he was nearly as excited as I was. The months leading up to the hunt were filled with trail camera pictures of giants bucks. The decision was made to hunt one particular buck that had eluded hunters for the past two seasons. This buck proved to be very difficult to even get a look at even though we knew he was there. After pursuing this buck for 7 days it was decided to hunt a different buck that was truly impressive. We managed to turn up this amazing buck the second day of our pursuit and dad made a very difficult 507 yard shot. As we walked up the buck he turned out to be way bigger than initially expected. The buck ended up grossing 228 3/8" and is by far the most impressive deer I have ever seen.

I would like to give a special thanks to Brec Bundy, Hans Nisson, Andy, Brett, and Jeff for their assistance on the hunt. Each of you played an integral roll in the outcome of this hunt. I would also like to thank the pack crew that volunteered to help us pack my dads buck out of a pretty deep hole. I had never met those of you who assisted in the recovery of the deer and to say I was impressed with your professionalism would be an understatement. This was a classic example of why I hunt and it proved to me that hunter ethics are still strong.

Thank You

post-3635-0-38650800-1416167489.jpg

post-3635-0-71671800-1416167502.jpg

post-3635-0-15887400-1416167511.jpg

post-3635-0-30935300-1416167520.jpg

post-3635-0-81768300-1416167556_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Awesome buck! And that does look like one heck of a hole he was in. I didn't know places like that even existed on the Strip.

Great buck. Nothing like a big muley! Congrats to your dad.

Congrats to you and your Dad, what a good solid buck. Good luck in all your future hunts.

Absolute toad of a buck. Great mass, deep forks, and some extra character. I would not have passed this guy on opening morning on the strip.

That's what dreams are made of! Congrats to you and your dad on an amazing hunt and a spectacular buck!!!