Sign in to follow this  
Guest 300ultramag.

Follow up or Not?

Guest 300ultramag.

Being a bow hunter I have always been torn with taking a follow up shot. It almost feels unnatural to me.. If that makes sense.

what do you guys think. I am reffering to the moment seconds after you have made a good shot and they are still in that 30 to 50-60 yd range and they are showing signs of a good hit. Like they want to bed up or they look like they will just topple over. I have had experiences where they hit the dirt and thats it. Ive also had them lay down immediately only to get back up and walk off minutes later.

also do you change it per animal as an elk. vs a coues vs a muley

I prefer to remain undetected and let them go without being pushed or get that flight response never to be recovered

I think a coyote would get my whole quiver if he didnt go down right away! Just sayin

Keep shooting as long as you can no matter what!!! its a RULE in my hunting party!!!

• Like 3

If they're still standing, I'm still shooting.

I made a bad butt follow up shot on my elk in 2013. We walk up and my dad says here's your arrow (first one covered in blood) I look up and the elk is standing about 60 yards away I drew back and just guessed and nailed him in the power plant again, he laid down. He probably wouldn't have gone anywhere after the first shot but I'd rather just put 2 in him if I can

I can honestly say that I have never been presented a "follow up shot" on an animal I was shooting at with a bow, they all took off after being hit. But, without a doubt, if I think the shot was not good or the follow up is an easy shot, go ahead and stick him with another. Better to be safe than sorry.

Definitely a follow up shot. I lost my biggest coues because I didn't take a follow up shot. At 15yrds I hit high and the buck of my lifetime went down and then starting circling with blood covering the snow and drug himself up and bedded down 50yrds away. I went back to the truck and celebrated as I waited 1hr and then went to recover but there was no buck. Tracked for a mile with a spot of blood every 100 or so and then it hit the no snow side of the hill. Gone and I had time to stick it again. What the He!! was I thinking. :(

TJ

• Like 1

Take it if it's there.

+1

I've wasted a lot of prime eating on follow up shots. If the 1st hit is good AND I know it, I'm very selective on follow up shots.

I always take one when I can. The one i took last summer was the worst for me as I saw him go down behind some trees and thought he was down for good. About 15 minutes later he was back up staggering around. I had to wait almost another 15 minutes after that before he came out in the open and presented another shot, which I took as quickly as I could. At that point he was dead on his feet ready to topple at any minute but I figured seconds were better than another few minutes. So I hit him with number two and he dropped on the spot.

If you were able to zoom in on my avatar you would see the follow up shot sticking out of the back of my bulls head. He was dead standing when I took the shot but he was still standing. Miss judged the distance a little and the arrow punched right through his skull. Definitely killed him though.

• Like 1

I am not yet an archery hunter but I would say take if it is there but don't push him out of his bed just to get another shot. My friends oyster has killed two deer in his life and both with a bow and both with fallow up shot And they both didn't move after the second one hit him

• Like 2

Depends a lot on the situation. First and foremost would be whether you can tell if the first shot was 100% solid and giving lots of blood. If it was high or back at all I would definitely try to get another arrow anywhere that would aid in blood trailing.

• Like 1

Of the few animals I've killed with a bow, only one has gotten a follow up shot. And it was a javelina of all things. I didn't take a follow up shot on an elk once and should have.

That being said I would say half of my rifle kills have gotten a follow up shot.