rossislider

Hunting on a Clean vs Fouled Bore (continued)

Not to long ago we had a good discussion on here about hunting with a clean vs fouled bore. I saw this on Extreme Outer Limits this morning and thought it worth sharing.

• Like 2

I know this is an older post, but recently watched this episode again. I hunt with a fouled bore. If I am getting ready for a hunt I may go shoot for a while, will clean it, and then run a few foulers and call it good.

I shoot a decent amount before the hunt. I always end on a positive note, and leave my gun exactly how it was on the last shot.

No doubt, hunt with it the way it last shot in practice. On a side note, the guy in that video is on heck of a shot.

Watch "Sniper 101 part 40 " on YouTube. It is the best explanation I have found on this topic. My take on it is there is an accuracy node with copper fouling just like reloading. My personal rifle 300wsm likes 10-100 rounds.

If I remember correctly, I think lancetkenyon posted a topic a while back on this with pictures of group sizes shrinking significantly from clean to fouling. pretty cool topic.

I've always been told never to clean right before a hunt. I have tested the theory, and find that it is sound advice. Every time I clean my first shot or so is a flyer. That would not do for hunting.

270 I'm using next week on a hunt definitely likes it dirty. Groups tighten up after 5 rounds or so right after a cleaning.

I always hunt on a fouled bore. Some of my rifles like more rounds down the barrel than others. I clean when groups start to open up. I have found predictability on a fouled bore is usually better. Cold bore has not effected me, but clean bore sure has.

• Like 2

My experience is the same as Lance's and others. I shot this weekend after I gave my gun a good deep clean, it took 4 rounds before I noticed my groups going back to what I am accustomed to. My gun not only does not group quite as well, it shoots high a few inches at 200.