5nRamirez

27 south bighorn

Well sorry for the delay, 2015 was quite the year for our family...the whole plan for this sheep hunt was to get the tag into my 12 year old nephew's hands. Unfortunately flunking grades kept him from receiving a trophy tag...

Anyways my entire family did not understand how lucky we were to have this tag including my brother, the tagholder....I was the only one who invested any time talking to previous tag holders, meeting with game and fish{which was a huge disappointment} the only help I got was from this site....

I went on 3 different weekend scouting trips over the time and never saw a sheep until the third time in mid November and there was only one collard ram. Anyways, fast forward to DEC 1, I packed up camp from helping my 61 year old father fill his elk tag in Flagstaff and drove straight to Alpine for the night on the way to set up the sheep camp.After setting up camp on Dec 2, I started glass all the big bluffs along the Blue and never picked up a sheep for 3 days after putting miles and miles on my boots and glassing until my eyes bled. I finally found a decent group of sheep with 2 Rams in it and no collared sheep..

I stayed on this group for 5 more days till my brother finally came to camp..Now remember, he has not stepped foot into his unit until now and within hours of arriving, we hiked to the glassing location and I instantly found the band..After watching them maneuver around the big drainage carved in the bluffs for a couple hours, my brother was in awe. On day 10, I finally had help in camp when my dad and his friend came to help glass. We spent another 3 full days in separate groups trying to locate another band of sheep.That was when the weather hit, it started as a light rain around noon then turned to sleet and by dark it was snowing which I was prepared for but nobody else was.So on Day 14, morals were low. Everyone and everything was wet or frozen and while eating breakfast my brother said if we saw any Ram today he would be happy...

So as the sun started to come up, we made our way into the canyon of the group we knew of...after an hour or two of searching, we found them in a stalk-able position. Another 3 1/2 hours later we were sitting in shooting range of 280 yards. After a quick confirmation of which ram was which, he took his first shot hitting it in the back end. The Ram started moving off his perch towards a 100ft drop off when my brother shot for the second time hitting it in the head. After yelling a few choice words, he put one in the pump-house, dropping him feet from the edge....well it wasn't far enough after all the commotion, the Ram did a final jerk/roll and fell off the cliff face..fortunately no meat or horn was damaged in the fall or the shot...All in All it was a very tough hunt and my brother was happy with his trophy in the end which is all that matters.

post-11517-0-68406500-1453166422_thumb.jpg

post-11517-0-58918500-1453166459_thumb.jpg

post-11517-0-93767600-1453166487_thumb.jpg

That sounds like a helluva hunt! Nice work, and I hope he's buying your beer for...... I guess the rest of your life should do it. ;)

Good on ya for helping out. Sorry, but wish the tag would have gone to someone more deserving.

• Like 3

Yeah I knew that comment would come up I guess my family is not deserving as in the last 4 years my we lost my mother my grandfather and my brother lost his 4 month old son to S.I.D.S and he killed 2 days after the 2 year passing of his son...but yeah I guess he never deserved it because our family never had enough $ to hunt deer every year let alone a $350 sheep tag that was more than half his rent..Thanks For the comment hunting has been the only thing thy has kept our family together.

• Like 1

Great job on a Ram, even though it is not the giant, hopefully it was a great hunt!

Not sure why anyone would care about your family getting this tag? Congratulations on a successful hunt. You sound like a great brother to put so much time, energy, and expense in to helping him out.

• Like 2

Your tag, your hunt...or in this case your brother's tag, his hunt. Great job helping him out and congrats on getting the job done on what sounds like a very tough hunt!

Tough hunt but great job working your tail off and getting it done! If he is happy and you are happy then it's a great hunt! congrats!

Yeah I knew that comment would come up I guess my family is not deserving as in the last 4 years my we lost my mother my grandfather and my brother lost his 4 month old son to S.I.D.S and he killed 2 days after the 2 year passing of his son...but yeah I guess he never deserved it because our family never had enough $ to hunt deer every year let alone a $350 sheep tag that was more than half his rent..Thanks For the comment hunting has been the only thing thy has kept our family together.

Consider the source. Great job and way to help your brother out.

• Like 2

Congrats on the sheep and helping your bro out.Any sheep is a trophy in my book, can't wait to draw my tag.

• Like 1

Guess I should get in the sheep forum more often...great story...5bramirez deserves the Nobel prize for that hunt!

Jeff

• Like 1