Bubbacoues

Furthest south you have seen elk?

Not on the hoof, but seen (seasoned )sign of them in 35 earlier this summer and have talked to reliable sources who saw a bull on the Empire Cienega within the last several years.

a better topic might be "what units HAVEN'T you seen elk in"

Above Cutter, east of Globe, more than fifty years ago when AZGFD still managed wildlife on the reservations and I still was in middle school, is the farthest south I've actually seen elk. They had a "extermination" hunt and my father shot a 5x5 bull.

In the mid-1960s, a small herd of cow elk was killed by a train south of Willcox, surprising everyone who heard about the incident.

More recently, a friend who has orchards north of Willcox told me elk occasionally are seen in the Sulphur Springs Valley.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

Unit 30A at the Rancho Venado... High fence farm/operation just north of Elfida AZ. I wonder if any ever escaped, sans the sightings in 29 and 31?

Saw a picture last year of a small bull that fell into an irrigation canal outside Ehrenberg in unit 43a they were trying to get him out. I have also seen elk in 16a by Alamo lake.

Heard elk have been seen in Topock marsh outside Bullhead city (don't know if its true, but guess its possible).

The herd in unit 31 used to be over 100 elk. They were commonly seen watering at Riggs flat Lake. Also seen 20+ in Rucker Canyon 10 years ago. Then there was the 3 elk photographed on the empire cinega ranch in unit 34b a few years back.

Collama Chile. It was a nice 7x6.......but didn't have any air left in him. Business pal Chileno that I guided about 10 years ago. Maybe the biggest bull in Chile!

Actually Bill the Chileno killed the bull down on the Blue in the late hunt. He was so excited he jumped up into my arms and we both almost rolled off a cliff. But it gave me the idea to cut the bulls legs off and he rolled +900 feet in elevation to the bottom of the canyon. Tenderized the meat immediately......... and saved us a tough packing job in severe slope!

• Like 1