Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector777

Returning tag for reinstatement of bonus points

I am about 99.99% certain that has been brought up and discussed. Whether or not it was discussed as hypothetical or as law, I do not recall.

• Like 1

They didn't 'sneak anything in without telling anyone'. This specific item was brought up in a meeting I went to at Bass Pro-Shops a couple of years ago. The purpose of the meeting was for the G&F to get input from hunters/sportsman. As usual, there was only a very small handful of people there taking advantage of the G&F's efforts to get feedback on this and othe ideas. ;) (Chef and Flatlander were there too......)

Anyway, there were a couple of G&F guys there and several hunters/fishers. They ran several ideas by us and asked for input. It was a pretty positive session with open discussion/debate. If I recall, a 'tag return' option was debated to try to help folks out if something urgent came-up and they absolutely could not hunt. The previous option was to petition the Commission or something like that, I believe, and then it was left up to a judgement call. They were looking for some way for folks to deal with last minute changes in plans that they could not help, and still preserve their points.

I say kudos on this idea! :)

S.

• Like 2

Not being done or able to do it until the spring draw

If a person gives up his tag within 24hrs does that tag get issued to someone who didn't get drawn for that hunt at the last minute?

TJ

The point creep will get out of hand. People at the top of the list with BP's can essentially draw every year and return their tag if they don't find "the one" while scouting they'll turn the tag in. This will keep people that should have been in the bonus pass, out of it. Don't like the idea at all unless it is a one time deal or something.

• Like 7

Sounds like a great way for the G$F to get $5 more per application. Seems like it would make an instant market for people to sell their bonus points to others with a group application year after year.

• Like 1

I personally don't like the idea. Just gonna make people wait even longer for a once in a lifetime tag. But if it is gonna happen then they better have strict rules about it. The biggest thing being that if a group puts in and draws three tags and one wants to return it they all have to. If not I can't imagine how many people will use grandma's 12 points they have built up over and over and over to help them draw tags. If they limit that I'll be able to live with it but if not it's gonna get out of hand. And why are they are allowing you to return a tag up to 24 hours before the hunt? Some dude is gonna scout all year and not like what he sees and someone's gonna get a call night before their dream hunt and have to decide right there if they want it and not be prepared.

I agree with you all, this opens up a big can of group application worms. Looks like I better start building up some points for grandma.

Okay so let me get this straight- someone chime in and correct me on these 2 hypotheticals.....

I can put in for a BS hunt ever year (instead of just buying the bonus point) lets say for cow elk that has a high draw rate. If I get drawn (which is likely to happen) I can return my tag up to 24hrs prior to the hunt beginning and not only get my points back BUT ALSO get an additional bonus point??? Am I reading that right?

Another example-

My father has 24 antelope bonus points. Since he is has a high chance of getting drawn he can put in (next year) do the same as mentioned above and get 2 bonus points in one year. Thus staying 2x ahead of the game keeping tags out of reach for other people?

I can only assume the tag you return will go to NO ONE ELSE. Not that we do this but that is pretty F----ed up for such a limited amount of tags.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

More and more cheese every year. I'm a fan of the az g and f but this new change is stupid. I see tons of angles to be exploited. I'm glad I have lots of friends with lots of points. Instead of cheesing out everything over 5 bucks just raise prices on the tags by 5 bucks. The average guy with a few points just got hosed down with unfairness and tons of cheesiness. Bad idea. And the 24 hour thing is beyond crazy. There's always an agenda to these moves and this one involves more than the typical one being money. Sorry average guy, your now screwed.

Okay so let me get this straight- someone chime in and correct me on these 2 hypotheticals.....

I can put in for a BS hunt ever year (instead of just buying the bonus point) lets say for cow elk that has a high draw rate. If I get drawn (which is likely to happen) I can return my tag up to 24hrs prior to the hunt beginning and not only get my points back BUT ALSO get an additional bonus point??? Am I reading that right?

Another example-

My father has 24 antelope bonus points. Since he is has a high chance of getting drawn he can put in (next year) do the same as mentioned above and get 2 bonus points in one year. Thus staying 2x ahead of the game keeping tags out of reach for other people?

I can only assume the tag you return will go to NO ONE ELSE. Not that we do this but that is pretty F----ed up for such a limited amount of tags.

if i read correctly the tag fee is not refunded, so you loose 135 ? if is that not many people will put for a bs hunt and the loose $135.00, does anybody know if you loose $ 13 for app fee or the whole price of the tag, if you read on gohunt it says tag fee not refunded.

Another example-

That's incorrect. First off it wouldn't make sense to put in for a cow tag just to give it back. But if you did it will just be like you never got drawn and got a bonus point. No extra points or anything. If you had 6 when you put in and draw and give it back you will have 7 the next year like you never drew. Tags that are given back go to the next guy in line so there are no extra tags given to anyone.