AZ8

What happened to Long Lake?

Friend on Facebook posted some recent pics from Long Lake. Wow!

Last time I was up there was about 2 years ago. Was shocked to see these pics.

post-8895-0-16320500-1464139276_thumb.jpeg

post-8895-0-74282300-1464139296_thumb.jpeg

post-8895-0-59622100-1464143350_thumb.jpeg

I made the trip last Father's Day. I was pretty disappointed to find a mud hole. Used to be my favorite lake. Trout pike walleye what more could you ask for.

We did catch a few walleye at soldiers lake.

This year we are going to lake Mary

Lake Mary ain't far behind. I bet there are folks around here who remember when Mormon Lake was a navigable waterway.

• Like 1

Long lake.......dry.... Stoneman lake.....dry..... Mormon lake..... Dry....... I used to catch fish in all of them..... Now they are dirt... Sucks but it's only gonna get worse with the drought that we may never get out of...

When I was a kid we fished and duck hunted on Long Lake all the time. I do remember when Mormon Lake was a navigable waterway. Ive caught bucket loads of yellow pirch out of Stoneman Lake. All just distant memories now.

Do Soldier and Soldier Annex have any water? What about the other Anderson Mesa lakes, Kinnikinnik (sp) and Ashurst?

I grew up around all those lake. Sad to see for sure.

Soldiers and Soldiers Annex look better. She also posted these.

post-8895-0-23733600-1464143205_thumb.jpeg

post-8895-0-10887100-1464143219_thumb.jpeg

There was a group at soldiers lake that were slaying walleye and pike when j was there last june

In the late 70's Stoneman Lake was putting out one state record yellow perch after another...Mormon Lake consistently produced decent sized pike, walleye and more than a few yellow-belly bullheads...and just about all the nearby cattle tanks we're loaded with water dogs and little yellow-belly bullheads... Russell tank used to be a good out-of-the-way blast and cast spot for ducks and trout...if you fished it right Oak Creek would even come through with an occasional 18 plus inch brown trout...Kinnikinick lake was a mighty fine place to connect with an oversized brown trout too...from late January right into mid February we would catch decent 12 fish limits of rainbows through the ice at Ashurst lake...back then you would get so many Hammer handle size pike out of Lower Lake Mary that your arms got sore from casting... and boy did we slay the walleyes whenever the Upper Lake spillway was running in the lower Lake... I sure had high hopes of introducing all that good fishing to my children...too bad those lakes went into a steady decline and just never recovered from this decades-long drought that were experiencing.........

Wow. Last year up there duck hunting it was low and Soldier seemed to be ok....but looks like the good times are over now. That lake had the biggest crawfish I've ever seen. Some friends of mine have a cabin up near the Blue Ridge fire station and we'd fish Long all the time in the summer. Then duck hunt in early November. Here's a couple pike (C&R) we've caught out of there. Big chartreuse Mepps spinners were killer there.

post-14202-0-31741300-1464185857_thumb.jpg

post-14202-0-22551400-1464185859_thumb.jpg

post-14202-0-60758900-1464185860_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Lol at how many people think its from "the drought"

I don't know if I would laugh at them but I would agree there are far more factors involved than drought alone.

Population and groundwater pumping increases come to mind but I'm no expert, what are you referring to, Joe?

• Like 2