Viper

Which factory ammo to extend range/accuracy of my .270?

I know this has been discussed before but I'm having no luck searching. I have a Dec WT tag this year and want to maximize the potential of my factory Rem .270 xcr. I've used Rem core lockt, 130 gr for the past 5 years or so. I've killed 3 bucks at 140 to 300 yards, all one shot...dropped in their tracks. I want to extend my effective range to 500 yards. Although the economical core lockt has served me well, I realize I will need better performing ammo to achieve consistent accuracy at this range. I also realize most premium factory ammo will provide plenty of accuracy from a factory rifle. My main concern is terminal performance. In the brushy, steap coues country I hunt, it is imparative the deer drops in it's tracks. Cost is a slight concern, as I will shoot more if it doesn't break the bank. I can shoot the core lockts all day at $20 a box. I've done some research on the following choices:

* Hornady 140 gr Interlock (I am leaning toward these...they are $25 a box and get great reviews on terminal performance).

* Barnes Vor-tx TTSX (A lot of people like these)

*Nosler Accubond

* Nosler Partition

I'm sure there are more so let me know.

No one can tell you what ammo is going to shoot well in your rifle. I would suggest you get a box of your 2 most wanted and see which one shoots best. Every bullet you listed will do well out to 500. The higher Bc bullets start to shine at longer distances >500. In factory ammo, I have had good accuracy with Federal premium and winchester supreme.

I don't think they make it anymore as I haven't seen it lately but the federal premium 140 accubond was amazingly accurate from my 270.

HSM!

Another one for HSM. have had amazing results with them

• Like 1

1 Double Tap 130gr Swift Scirocco

2 Federal Premium 130gr Trophy bonded tip

3 Nosler Trophy Grade 130gr Accubond

4 Hornady Superformace 130gr interbond

All will absolutely crush a coues well beyond 500yds

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input. It sounds like a bonded, lead-copper bullet is the way to go. I read some bad reports on ballistic tips, and I'm not sure how the all copper bullets would perform on coues. I see why a lot of guys reload. I just don't have the time for another hobbyright now. I always thought I would someday, so I've saved most of the brass from shooting over the past 35 years...maybe when I retire.

I have always suggested HSM or Nosler Trophy Grade.

This weekend, I went shooting with another memeber to sight in and see how his brand new rifle was going to shoot. He bought some factory ammo since he does not reload.

He purchased:

Nosler Trophy Grade 7RM 160 Accubond

Hornady Precision Hunter 7RM 162 ELD-X

He could not find any HSM at the time.

We sighted in with the Hornady and got him shooting 1.5" high @ 100. He shot a 1" group, with 2 of the shots touching. Showing some potential. Shooting over a chrono showed pretty consistent speeds too, I think somewhere around a 30-40fps total ES.

The Nosler results were suprising. Best 100 yard group was about 1.25", but speeds were all over the place. Over 100fps difference.

Pushed back to 200 to make sure he was good, and the Hornady Precision hunter performed better. About a 2" group, and again, pretty consistent speeds. The Nosler opened up a bit, and speeds were 100+ FPS different.

With some tweaking, this rifle shows a lot of promise. To be fair, conditions were less than ideal, with wicked mirage floating the target in the optics, and some decent shifting winds from all different directions and nothing constant.

• Like 2

I started with the Nosler Trophy Grade 130gr Accubond. Never got very consistent groups with them. Switched to Barnes 130gr TTSX and have had much better groups at 200 and ringing the gong at 300 and 400. (Not sure how it groups at that range...only hitting fixed gongs at the range)

If you're in Tucson anytime soon I have a partial box of the Noslers you can try.

• Like 2