AZhuntingfamily

Is AZGFD giving out our personal information?

When I fill out my hunting license and apply for a draw I do so believing that the AZGFD is keeping my information confidential. It is not that I am paranoid but I absolutely hate solicitors, if I want your product or service I will come to you don't come banging on my door or send me junk in the mail. So, the root of this all... I was lucky to receive an Antelope tag this year 1 of 4 for the area I chose. I came home to find a post card with my name on it that says Congrats on your Antelope Draw! you have received 10% off your next mount. The post card came from a private business so I must be oblivious to the fact that azgfd is giving away my name and address every time I draw for a hunt or these guys are dug up my info some other way. Has this happened to you?

I have been told they sell it. Never read their privacy notice if they even have it but the wording that allows them to do it is probably buried in that. I don't really care. In this day and age everyone and their brother has access to your info. I get solicitations from companies all the time. I think they all have access to who I am and what I do.

• Like 1

Yes they do. Its just another way for them to make $. Why do you think they were pushing so much for everyone to sign up on the portal. Even held out on releasing the results and released them on the portal first. Basically anything you do on the internet is captured some way or another. I can google such products from my work computer and 10 minutes later will start getting adds or pop ups on my personal phone for the exact item. Its kinda creepy.

• Like 1

What if PETA decides to buy these mailing lists?

Then they'll know I have an archery bull tag and a rifle deer tag this year. ;)

• Like 6

The people who buy the mailing lists are just as guilty as the ones selling it. i would never use a company who contacted me through this method. Unethical is the first thing that comes to mind but some folks will do anything for money.

I guess I see this differently than some of you. Yes, absolutely AZGFD sells this information and yes outfitters, taxidermists, etc buy it. We may not like it, and It may not be how many of us would prefer these organizations do business, but I don't see it being unethical in any way as they disclose the fact that they sell the information and make no attempt to hide it. But bottom line for me personally is, if getting an extra couple of pieces of junk mail can help keep my app fee and tag prices down, I'm all for it.

• Like 4

But bottom line for me is, if getting an extra couple of pieces of junk mail can help keep my app fee and tag prices down, I'm all for it.

i cant imagine that selling our info and tag prices are correlated in the slightest.

• Like 2

They actually do not sell the information. They have to provide the list's as it is a public record request. The money they charge is for the processing fee. So yes anyone can obtain a list of successful tag holders.

• Like 4

It's government. It's all public record. They have no choice but to provide the information when requested.

If you don't want the draw results subject to the FOIA, let the Clintons run the draw on their server.

• Like 5

But bottom line for me is, if getting an extra couple of pieces of junk mail can help keep my app fee and tag prices down, I'm all for it.

i cant imagine that selling our info and tag prices are correlated in the slightest.

I can't imagine why not. There are operating cost to any organization. A big chunk of that money for AZGFD comes through licenses, tags, application fees, etc., but it all goes to the bottom line. If they don't get the required money from one place, they will get it from another. Every dollar gained or spent in one place has a direct impact on another. The money from selling tag information may not be big money, but it all adds up.

Now if you want to debate the main problem of many posters on this site relating to AZGFD, which is a blind hatred for anything AZGFD related, than that is a different discussion entirely.

• Like 1

The AGFD is a state government agency that comes under the public information regulations. Thus, the drawing data is a matter of public records that is available to anyone who requests it. AGFD can charge reasonable fees to provide that info to anyone who wants it.

• Like 2