CouesPursuit

August Opening Day Coues

As of a week before the opener, I had 4 cameras that didn't reveal a mature buck at all through the entire summer. Does, spikes, forks, bulls, bears, lions - everything but a mature buck. No problem I thought, figured I would just spot and stalk an area I'd been looking at for a while and make the most of my new archery setup I have been shooting so well.

Leaving straight from work on Thursday, I got to deer camp smooth and steady with an hour of light, just enough time to go check one last camera at a stand we have taken a few bucks from that wasn't tended to in a couple months. There was exposed soil in shaded areas around a few of the trees, but the hope that the area was getting hit hard by deer was hit hard by cattle crap, a first, everywhere under the stand and camera. I checked the SD card, FULL, then the camera batteries die immediately, which was my only way to view the photos. I take the entire camera back to camp and dug some old AA batteries out of a solar lantern and got the camera to turn on again. I was in disbelief, the card only had 60 pictures and the last 3 were from the day the camera was last setup. Weird. No problem I thought, I know cameras only mean so much, but the cow sign everywhere did bother me a bit.

I woke up early opening day and just felt like giving the stand a chance as I haven't sat there in a couple years. I hiked in and was settled in the tree by 6am. I had a very quiet first couples hours, interrupted by a small bear cruising through at 60 yards, followed by a colorful coati at 20 yards, 2 minutes after the bear passed.

Then, hours later at 10:45 the sound every bow hunter sitting in a tree wants to hear, intermittent tip toeing through the leaves. Finally, the sight I've been dreaming of, a big black eye and glowing silver antlers expose themselves behind a large oak. His body is 95% covered, only his antler tips are showing as he stands alert. The wind is perfect for this big coues buck shall he proceed on path, if he took 2 steps, he would be broadside at 15 yards. Another deer appears from behind him, but decides he wants to take another angle into the area, he heads directly downwind of me and his nose hits the air repeatedly as he stares up into my tree.

Luckily, he was so close, say 10 yards, my scent was blowing right over him, and he just couldn't figure me out. I shook, and I calmed. I made a plan to stop focusing on the second deer, a fork, and just keep my eyes on the big 3x. Everything about the situation told me the big deer would follow the fork's trail instead of his own. I shook some more as I twisted my body awkardly around to be able to draw behind me without moving my feet around in the stand. The 3x walks backwards and gets on the downwind trail. Again, when he appears just his antlers were showing, opposite side of the same big oak, 10ish yards. I shook some more, but quickly put myself in focus and calmed to composure. Knowing the fork was still checking on me and directly underneath my scent, I stood ready to draw. The second the big buck's body appeared, I would dump him. He moved forward, I drew, and as the peep covered his body, all I could see was rump, he quartered away for a split second, and whack. My dedicated 15 yard/ elevated tree stand pin buried my 450gr VAP straight through him. The 3x ran, the fork watched.

40 yards, 5 seconds, and 1 final death kick later, it hit me that I just killed my first Pope and Young coues. I am blessed and ecstatic with this incredible buck.

post-3844-0-40343900-1471743193_thumb.png

• Like 42

Wow Shea that's amazing!!!!! Congrats on a stellar buck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1