hunter01

Unit 1 Thefts

I've got a hunt in 7E in October, and I am fairly new to hunting out in the field for a week or so. Any tips for protecting my stuff/truck while I'm away during the day? I don't have a trailer, camper shell etc.

Huntlines if I understand you correctly I have to disagree with you. Whatever definition of "abandoned" a person might go buy........ under no circumstances is it justified to mess with other people's property.......in the forest or anywhere. Guess I am just an old geezer brought up in a different era when people had more respect for other people's property than currently. I have found numerous tree stands in the forest left for years (and seemingly abandoned) but the thought of taking them never occurred to me

• Like 3

Alpinebullwinkle, This is exactly what I was going to just say. It's abandoned property according to Forest Service and other law enforcement. Just like trail cameras if you leave it in the forest its fair game......... I used to get so worked up over trail cameras being taken and people saying "Oh well its abandoned property." Some say it's different but is it?

If you take what's not yours I thought that was called stealing

• Like 5

This is BS, some years ago on a elk hunt my friend killed an elk, we went back to truck got our pack and stuff to get the elk out. we left our guns in the truck behind the seat and went to get the elk. on the way back to the truck in the dark we noticed flashlights around the truck, with the binos we looked at the truck and they guys were trying to jimmy the lock. Bad idea as we had our pistols with us and open fired at them. needless to say they left in a hurry. When we got to the truck we noticed how close they were to getting in.

would not be a bad idea to leave someone around camp on top of a hill with a little .243 or something to keep a$$holes from looking around your camp..

Leave Shrek in camp with his Mini 14 and 9 million meter. Nobody would mess with your camp!

Alpinebullwinkle, This is exactly what I was going to just say. It's abandoned property according to Forest Service and other law enforcement. Just like trail cameras if you leave it in the forest its fair game......... I used to get so worked up over trail cameras being taken and people saying "Oh well its abandoned property." Some say it's different but is it?

I thought it has belong to someone in order for it to be 'stolen.' If we're discussing "abandoned property," how does it still belong to someone?

If you find a shed antler in the forest and take it home, are you stealing?

KInda one of the reasons I really do not like solo hunting anymore

even the junk I have would be hard to replace due to some a-hole liking it while I was off hunting .

even my folding chairs but especially my sleeping - food - camping stuff.

most of these thieves will take anything and quite often everything

but as they say -- " It's the world we live in "

plan accordingly - no more " they haven't ever bothered me "-- " YET"

• Like 1

I don't see how that relates to cameras being taken at all. But anywase if you some how think that taking cameras is ok because they are "technically" abandoned your part of the problem.

• Like 5

I don't see how that relates to cameras being taken at all. But anywase if you some how think that taking cameras is ok because they are "technically" abandoned your part of the problem.

If it ain't yours don't fuc!ing touch it .. Pretty simple !!!
  • Like 7

I guess I'm from the old school, things seemed so simple back in the day.

It all started when Slick Willie could not determine what sex was. ( heck Hillary bought into it).

Then Hillary doesn't know that a Capital C proceeding a paragraph means means " Confidential" on an email.

Now we have people trying to redefine Stealing. " I'm so confused".

I only know in my family if I did what Bill did, and tried to convince my wife that " I did not have sex with that women" I would have got a boot in my butt.

Had I shared an email, that even common sense told me was confidential outside the " Need to Know" personnel. I would have been fired.

Finally you can dang well believe that my 4 kids. Now productive and responsible adults knew, and know what stealing is.

• Like 5

Comparing thieving from trailers to finding shed antlers? not sure where you were going with that. Sounds like you're justifying theft.

I thought we were talking about cameras and trailers set up a month before the hunt?

• Like 1

I thought this discussion was about abandoned property at primitive camping spots on USFS land, not trail cameras in the woods. I'm pretty sure a few people on here have my ugly mug cheesing for their trail cameras because I leave cams alone. Even ones that aren't secured with a lock or cable. Going into a seemingly empty camp with sticky fingers likewise seems to be a good way to (sooner or later) get shot in the chest a few times so you can count me out of that activity, as well. 

Nevertheless, "part of the problem" are the folks who pick and chose which rules they want to follow and bitch when the consequences hit home for their own behavior. You drop your stuff off on Tuesday and plan to come back on Friday for the opener. How would you feel if a like minded rules bender came up on Thursday night with his spotlight and filled his tag the night before opening morning on that prized bull you had your eye on? After all, you can always go kill some other elk. Just like "there are other campsites out there."

JMNSHO/$0.02/etc

Wow guess I got a few people ruffled here. I have never and will never take something that isn't mine. I have found several trail cameras in the field, one just a few weeks ago which wasn't locked, and have never messed with them.

What I'm saying here is and I bet any of you who have called, if you call the law enforcement agency which has jurisdiction, they will tell you there is nothing they can do about it because it was abandoned property. I'm sure when people are loosing vehicles and expensive camping gear they treated it a little differently. However what I was trying to do was highlight how this is basically the same thing if you look at it as "abandoned property theory."

I think theft is theft weather or not it is a trail camera left in the woods or a camper left for the following weekend.

• Like 1