ElkDeer

Rifle for 10 Year Old

Ok guys! My son turns 10 in April so I'm planning on getting him a coues rifle for his birthday. I would like to get him a .243. Any suggestions on brand, model? I'm looking at the Remington 700 SPS Youth .243 but don't like that it's synthetic.

Thanks for any information you may have!

Check out the Ruger American in .243. My 10-year-old son who is pretty small framed and somewhat recoil sensitive handles it just fine. In fact he loves shooting it.

I load the 95 grain Berger classics and it shoots Sub moa all day. He just shot his first buck with it on the early November hunt.

• Like 3

My buddy got his kids the Howa .243 several years ago and it's been a great gun for him. It came with 2 stocks and is easily interchangeable so he is able to use it himself and the kids can keep using it as they grow.

As for synthetic, I love the look of a wood grain rifle but prefer the synthetic for my main hunting rifle. Especially for kids. I will be setting up a 7mm-08 for my girls next year with a synthetic stock.

+1 for the Ruger American Compact. Got that for my daughter and am very pleased. .75 inch groups at 100 yards out of the box with factory ammo. Trigger is a little stiff but I think that is okay for a kid. Very light. My only surprise was it has a plastic magazine. Thought it would have been metal. I went with the 7mm-08 so she can use it on elk in a couple of years. 120 grain reduced recoil rounds for now for deer and javelina.

Don't overlook the 6.5 Creedmoor or .260 Rem. It will be enough for the elk hunts he will grow into, and any of the AZ deer will easily fall to a 130-140 bullet if put in the right spot. Recoil won't be much more, but bullet weight is a big plus when you jump to .264 vs. .243.

A .257 of some sort might fit the bill well also. I had a .250 Ackley for years for my girls. It took a few deer, javelina, and a cow elk with authority. I used the 100-115gr. bullets with great results.

• Like 2

Don't overlook the 6.5 Creedmoor or .260 Rem. It will be enough for the elk hunts he will grow into, and any of the AZ deer will easily fall to a 130-140 bullet if put in the right spot. Recoil won't be much more, but bullet weight is a big plus when you jump to .264 vs. .243.

A .257 of some sort might fit the bill well also. I had a .250 Ackley for years for my girls. It took a few deer, javelina, and a cow elk with authority. I used the 100-115gr. bullets with great results.

+1 on the 6.5 calibers. This is the very reason I went that route. I figure it will be a great rifle for my kids up until they are old enough to buy they're own rifle of their choice. My 10 year old daughter just shot a buck with a 260 rem. I put a muzzle break on it so there is no recoil whatsoever. I favor the 260 over the 243 because of the bullet options and I wouldn't be worried about the kids shooting elk with it.

My son won a RMEF 700 Youth in 243 a long time ago and it has been a great rifle, in fact I have used it a couple of times on Javelina hunts because it is so handy and light.

• Like 1

Can't go wrong with Savage either. Trophy Hunter XP youth is a great first rifle. Have a couple buddies that bought these for their kids and very pleased with them.

+1 on the 6.5. My small framed 10 yr old shoots a savage model 11 6.5 CM and shoots it well. He doesn't get jumpy after 20 rounds at the range either. Just food for thought.

+1 for The Creedmoor. Can't go wrong with an inherently accurate round that is readily available in factory ammo. I love my Sako .243, but I would absolutely pick the Creedmoor if I had to pick just one (thankfully I dont).

• Like 1