Sign in to follow this  
elkhunter

Backpack- advice?

Packing my buck out this past weekend my backpack strap broke, after repairs I had 6 more straps break (sun damage). I don't carry much when hunting, just water, tripod, 15's and some food but load up the pack when I harvest. What are some backpacks that are light with several straps and can carry a heavy load when needed? I live in a small town away from big cities so I don't have the luxury of going to Cabela or sportsman warehouse to try out packs

Are you looking for "best" are really good but affordable? Since you don't carry much, I would recommend just getting a high quality frame and throwing a small day pack on it. Much cheaper option than a full blown pack. Lighter as well.

• Like 2

Kuiu........6000 or 7200. They are worth the $$. Even better if you can buy used!

Since he doesn't carry much gear, I'd say the Kuiu 3200 or even 1850 would be a better option. The load sling works well for packing meat.

• Like 1

hellcat-alice-pack-kit-3.gif

Modified ALICE frame pack = "HellCat"

My favorite. Cheap (less than $100), very durable, plenty of modifications and add-on's.

Kuiu 3200 or Outdoorsman. A cheaper option I've used is the Kelty Cache Hauler frame with a large fanny pack attached. When you get to where you hunt, drop the frame until you need it.

You don't need Cabelas or Sportsmans. You can find these packs online cheaper used or new, usually without tax.

Kelty frame, with a Boyds pack, maybe 2200cu". I prefer a external frame to have some air between me and the pack to provide some air circulation that keeps the sweat off.

I have a piece of pipe insulation on one side for when I sling my rifle on the frame to keep it from banging around.

This pack is a good 10 years old and is quiet but the zipper on one side comes apart every now and then and should get replaced but I found that spraying it with Pam helps out.

I can pack out a boned out WT with no problem in it. I like this setup because I can put a liter bottle of water in each side pouch and empty it is about 2 pounds or a bit more.

post-3883-0-36426900-1480468158_thumb.jpg

post-3883-0-66741000-1480468172_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Pack frame or EXO Mountain Gear, Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch. Kuiu is too thin and wears on spots.

I've been using the eberlerstock J34/Just One Pack for the past couple hunting seasons and really like it. You can ad the Super Duffel that zips in and will carry a full coues deer quartered up, plus all your other gear you have with you.

I'm not a backpacker like bunch of guys on here so I don't look for the crazy lightweight packs. I also don't spend $500 on a pack :] would I if I packed 10 miles into nowhere YES!

So my affordable durable choice is ALPS OUTDOORZ the Pac I'm posting pic of I paid $107 for and packed out a whole muley buck last fall no problems except it was 1 heavy load!!! Pack has expandable section that unzips and is against back so weight is forward, I put quarters in NOT BONED OUT. Honestly I thought straps would pop but it was good to go!! The pack did way better than my legs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=alps+outdoors

Also i have owned badlands packs for 15+ years that have sat in Phoenix garage with absolutely no rot whatsoever.

Whatever works for you and is in your budget.

post-2359-0-91794100-1480521469_thumb.png

I just sent a Jansport back to have the straps replaced. I guess the are North face now for backpacks, but Jansport for book/computer bags,

COMPLETE rebuild/replace, 100% satisfaction with the service and company SO depending on who makes yours and if you are happy with it, return it in the off season, ask them to refurb, replace/repair the straps.

Buy once, Cry once. Kifaru! Lifetime warranty, super comfortable and they have a good selection of different bags to fit their frames. The difference from a Eberlestock/badlands bag to Kifaru, Stone Glacier or Exo, is considerable. You can find them used on other forums and save atleast $100.00.

• Like 3