down2hunt

2016 Rut Activity

Was back out this morning, down south, and found about 20 does ... no bucks pushing. Maybe these does aren't pretty enough or the bucks in the unit have ED. I may never know the answer to those questions...so I'll leave it to that to the biologist(s).

• Like 1

Saw a young 2 point chasing does, thrashing a paloverde, and lip curling last night and a nice buck today cruising alone and all "swoll-up" near Mammoth. I think it's close.

• Like 1

Last week I had a 5x5 with 25-30 does and a 3x3 with a group of 4 does. This week, bucks are nowhere to found and does are all grouped up and scattered. No more than 10 to a group. Only saw 1 spike with 1 antler. I think maybe the weather front that hit us over the xmas holiday threw off the rut a tad. opinions?

Last week I had a 5x5 with 25-30 does and a 3x3 with a group of 4 does. This week, bucks are nowhere to found and does are all grouped up and scattered. No more than 10 to a group. Only saw 1 spike with 1 antler. I think maybe the weather front that hit us over the xmas holiday threw off the rut a tad. opinions?

big buck cut out the hottest doe and he's running her ragged all over heck. he'll be back to get another

big buck cut out the hottest doe and he's running her ragged all over heck. he'll be back to get another

You didn't have to bring your hot nights at D&D into this..

• Like 1

You didn't have to bring your hot nights at D&D into this..

change hottest to fattest on my post and it would be like me at dos gringos back in the day.

• Like 1

Every group of deer we saw Saturday was a handful of does with a mature buck in it. Big swollen necks.

It was awesome

Down south, the mule deer rut is just starting to get good in my area. My wife arrowed this buck on the New Years Day (afternoon). He was bedded with 6 does and she was able to stalk within 40 yards of the does. When they got up to feed, the buck got up to check on them. She arrowed him 45 yards when he went by. This was her FIRST deer.....to say she was ecstatic would be an understatement. Our grown kids to come along for the recovery!

post-2391-0-17693900-1483645967_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

I have been watching 6 bucks every day for the past 2 weeks. They have about 10-12 does near them every day, with another 8-10 in the vicinity, and I have seen no real interest in them until today. I saw one of the smaller bucks sniffing a single doe. There are a couple decent bucks in the group. A wide 26-27" 2x4, a 22-23" 4x4, and a nice 25-26" dark horned decent mass 3x3. There are a couple hardcore hunters that have been out since last Friday that packed into the area that are after them, but haven't gotten a shot at them yet.

Down south, the mule deer rut is just starting to get good in my area. My wife arrowed this buck on the New Years Day (afternoon). He was bedded with 6 does and she was able to stalk within 40 yards of the does. When they got up to feed, the buck got up to check on them. She arrowed him 45 yards when he went by. This was her FIRST deer.....to say she was ecstatic would be an understatement. Our grown kids to come along for the recovery!

Congrats to you and your wife on a great first archery buck. I killed one similar to that on the 2nd. Still out here with my dad trying to get him one. Rut action is good where we are and every Buck we've seen is pushing or cruising.

Finally starting to see some better bucks checking does in the desert. Getting more stupider too. In the last 2 days at work, saw twins 4x4s at 40 & 70 yards, and a big 3x3 today at 50.