Sign in to follow this  
duckhunter175

Newbie Rifle Choices

CWT-- Always appreciate the advice and ideas from here. I'll have some pics soon of the final product from my 'back up rifle' thread.

My brother in law has been itching to get into hunting and I think this season will likely be his first. Texas is and will be the primary location for his hunting and whitetail deer / hogs will be the primary game. Just based off terrain and experience I don't expect shots to be 'long range' so anything that has ample energy at 300m with be adequate. He will need to be able to buy ammo off the shelf (or shoot something I shoot).

Budget: $700 for rifle, rings, scope. This leaves me torn on where to focus the majority of the buying power.

Your thoughts?

A good 270. killed deer , elk, and a buffalo with one..

• Like 2

Thoughts on platform? I went and played with a Ruger American Predator in 6.5cm today. Not crazy about the stock but I've read good reviews on them.

Savage also came to mind... Maybe a 111 combo-- I think they come with a Nikon scope?

Tikka baby!!!! Light weight and always shoots sub MOA. .270, 260 comes in their standard rifle.

• Like 3

With the budget, maybe a Tikka T3 (cheaper than newer T3x) or Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor. Scope with a Ballistic Plex like Leupold w Boone and Crocket reticle, Vortex.

Ruger American predator 6.5 cm with vortex viper scope is what I have. Spent about that much on it, free floated the barrel (just a bit of sanding the barrel channel) and it shoots .75 moa using hornady precision ammo. Might be a great option for ya

• Like 2

+4 on the Tikka T3. Just picked one up myself in 6.5X55 and it shoots ~.3 moa with three different handloads. Nice smooth action and the stock is a lot better than most. There are some killer online deals right now.

• Like 3

Tikka

Howa

Weatherby vanguard

Savage

CZ

Pick a caliber you like, and see ammo on the shelf for normally.

6.5cm

7-08

25-06

All should be readily available and be plenty for what you describe.

• Like 2

I would find the cheapest used rifle in whatever caliber it happens to be and buy the best scope he can possibly afford. I've seen a few howa's for around $275. On the scope I wouldn't consider anything under like a Ziess Terra, Leupold Vx-3 in 3-9 to 4-12. Caliber would be the last thing I would consider so long as you pick one that has good ammo selection, between 6.5 & 30 Cal.

• Like 2

Rudy,

I say a .308 bolt action. Low recoil, usually very accurate. Most factory rifles are light to carry.

More than enough for any deer/hog and enough for elk should he decide to head west.

If you get a 1:10 twist barrel you can shoot 180 grain SST or similar. I shoot the 178 out my 1:12 just fine but factory ammo might be a little more finicky on twist.

You can buy .308 ammo at any Texas gas station, Walmart etc, coffee shop...etc

• Like 1