Sign in to follow this  
Tail_Dragger

Deer Leftovers

I think it is a good thing that leftovers are going away. If you want to hunt, out in and get drawn(or archery). If it continues like this maybe people will stop playing the points game(putting in for units with little to no chance just to get the point and then picking up a leftover) and eventually it might be easier to get drawn for the "good" units.

Maybe not, but we will see.

I don't see how the playing the points game, then getting a left over is a bad thing, like you make it seem.

• Like 4

I think it is a good thing that leftovers are going away. If you want to hunt, out in and get drawn(or archery). If it continues like this maybe people will stop playing the points game(putting in for units with little to no chance just to get the point and then picking up a leftover) and eventually it might be easier to get drawn for the "good" units.

Maybe not, but we will see.

I don't see how the playing the points game, then getting a left over is a bad thing, like you make it seem.

It may not be. It is just a theory.

I should have said "might" be a good thing.

2 years ago I hunted a unit with 300ish tags available. there were like 70% of those leftover. That means almost 200 people put in for units that they didn't get drawn for to build points(maybe not all but I think it is safe to say that MANY did). All those tags were picked up in the leftover draw. Hypothetically, if those people KNEW(because there are no leftovers) they would not hunt unless they put in for an easier to draw unit, would they still ONLY put in for those hard to draw units? If more people started "burning" points to get drawn for "lesser" units, would that not make the "good" units become easier to draw for those who hold out? One would think the point creep would start coming down.

It seems to me that people are figuring it out that if they DON'T put in for an easy to draw unit they might NOT be hunting as there are fewer and fewer leftovers these days. Only time will tell if that is good or bad for the overall, not just the individual who plays or doesn't play the game.

It's just a thought. Not good or bad. Just a thought.

For me it makes ZERO difference because I hunt every year.

Personally, I like the leftovers because the hunts I get drawn for are of the "less desirable" nature. As such there are usually more leftover than drawn. A lot those guys seem to only hunt the first weekend then bail. Obviously that is not true for every hunt nor for every hunter, but it is very common.

• Like 2

Personally, I like the leftovers because the hunts I get drawn for are of the "less desirable" nature. As such there are usually more leftover than drawn. A lot those guys seem to only hunt the first weekend then bail. Obviously that is not true for every hunt nor for every hunter, but it is very common.

Then what's gonna happen when everyone puts in for the less desirable units? I'm guessing leftovers for deer are gonna be a thing of the past real quick here. It will be interesting to see how it will effect the draw odds in the future. I bet the southern units desirability is about to skyrocket.

Here is my thoughts on the leftovers situation.

1. Leftover availability will dwindle until few if any remain and hunters will no longer be able to count on getting a leftover while building points for the North of the Ditch units.

2. Once this happens guys who are 3+ points off max will start to apply for the next level of hunts down causing significant point creep in the late muley hunts, 3a3c, and other hunts that are right now considered 1-2 steps behind the strip and kaibab.

3. Once guys start burning their points they will start applying for easier to draw hints as choices 3-5, further reducing the number of leftovers.

4. Once draw odds start to decline in those units more people will have to select whitetail hunts as choices 1-2 and you will begin to see hunts that used to be an easy draw every year hit the 50% draw level leaving some guys without a rifle option.

5. In order to meet hunter demand AZGFD will designate more archery units as draw only.

• Like 1

It is pretty depressing!!!

Unless hunting population decreases due to NK getting an ICBM, some natural disaster, or...

(I believe in vaccinations, at least currently :-) Pardon the joke...)

Just wish they could post the leftover list...if there is one!

• Like 1

Do you keep your bonus points when you get a left over tag or do they take them?