Sign in to follow this  
SHREK

Another 23 success story

I have never been a rifle hunter, I have always archery hunted. Growing up all my father talked about was how awesome he thought the 25-06 was, but he had never owned one. It was his magic caliber he would buy. We never hunted much togethor in my adult life because things got in the way and he passed away after a battle with lung cancer.

So, browsing the classifieds one day I stumbled onto a savage 25-06 for a screaming deal and couldnt pass it up, figuring my son would grow into it. I have had him shooting since 6 or 7 and we started out with prarie dogs on the boquillas. At 10 he drew unit 10 antelope and hit the below goat at 386 yards seated. He has always been a natural shooter. The target pic below has a few fliers, but he put multiple rounds through the larger hole. So i figured we were ready for the 23 youth hunt with the longer ranges it may present.

Spent the summer scouting with my buddy and he convinced me to hike into a saddle he had located. We made the trek and found a great honey hole. He saw quite a few shooter bucks there this summer. The sunday prior to the opener we hauled in the largest blind cabelas made and set it up for the deer to get used to it.

The day prior to the hunt, I loaded up the dog and my son to head up to camp. He is 12 going on 13. Our checklist included phone charger, spare battery pack, hair gel, comb, and a hairbrush. He is in that phase and I try to make the hunt fun. Not be overbearing about the creature comforts, and i knew we would be sitting in a blind.

Opening day we sat in the blind for 7 hours with my son, my buddy, and his son who is anxiously waiting to turn 10 and hunt. We had enough garbage snacks to outsell Harkins theatre and settled in. In that time multiple does came by and several forkies. Each animial that came thru he would practice finding in the scope and tracking. it was good practice that turned out useful. Opening day closed without us seeing a shooter, but it gave us high hopes for Saturday.

On saturday we settled in before dark and everyone muscled around for seating position. We sat the two boys in the front of the blind, and we sat behind them. As we sat there we tried to stay quiet, but with 2 young boys and a slow morning we got the giggles. Without going into too much detail I mixed up my drink container and another container, and we had a laugh that all four of us will remember all our days. Just as we could settle down, 3 bucks came through. I didnt have my eyeglasses with me, but the first buck was plenty big enough and I was hurrying my son to shoot as the buck slowly was walking. He was the reasonable one and waited until the buck stopped and he made a perfect shot. It was only about a 70 yard shot and the buck only went 30 yards after being hit. There was no ground shrinkage as we walked up to it. After all the high fives and chores were done, we made the boys carry heavy packs out, without stopping so we could keep our momentum up.

My son has been wishy washy on continuing to hunt, but I think I have him hooked again. Today he asked me if his deer was a "toad" I told him it was indeed a toad and he could properly refer to it as such.

Couldnt do it without my buddy, Thanks for all the help and pushing me. As others are saying, it truely is the best to see these kids out in the woods and their highs and lows. He has taken a antelope, pig and now this buck with the 25-06. Great suggestion Dad!!!

post-5129-0-78488300-1508205701.jpg

post-5129-0-76372500-1508205722_thumb.jpg

post-5129-0-63982300-1508205742_thumb.jpg

post-5129-0-97456300-1508205758_thumb.jpg

post-5129-0-31380200-1508205773_thumb.jpg

post-5129-0-95499500-1508205789_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

What a cool buck. Strange he broke a point off so soon. Congrats, well done pops

NIce buck congrats

Sweet buck congratulations to all of you

Some of the best times of my life on these hunts and wouldnt know anything about hunting without the trips with these two. I owed you a taxidermy bill anyway! This was an awesome trip and my son was still talking about it today. Just a stud buck.

Oh, and no he does not chew. Just imagine we were trying to keep the odor down!

• Like 1

Congratulations to Tyler on a "toad" of a coues buck! You guys did awesome. I was super happy for you all when I got the pictures. You and J are doing great raising some dang fine young men. Just doesn't get any better.