Sign in to follow this  
Heat

Which Knife Sharpener?

I can put a decent edge on a knife with soft metal but a lot of my knives have a harder steel that I just can't seem to get sharp with my usual methods of freehanding with a stone, steels, or Accusharp. Our kitchen knives are pretty beat up now too. I need a sharpener that I can reliably put a sharp edge onto my kitchen, hunting, and pocket knives. Some sharpeners I have looked at and considering are the Work Sharp Ken Onion, the Chef's Choice 120, and the KME. I don't want to spend a fortune since none of my knives are all that, but I would like to have some sharper knives. Leaning towards the KME but want to hear what you guys have to say first.

Please don't say, "Buy a Havalon." That ain't happening! Call me stubborn, old school, or whatever but I like a real knife. Even if I have to carry 2 or 3 of them!

Friend of mine who builds knives gave me his work sharp about a year ago. He built a deal to use a water stone one handed (hes paralyzed on one side) so he didnt need the work sharp anymore. So anyways... I can get almost any knife sharp on the work sharp but not nearly as good as he can and not even close to the Japanese water stone.

• Like 2

I use a Lansky 5 grit Diamond set for my knives. Adjustable edge angle @ 30, 25, 20, 17 degrees, clamp and guides keep you on plane, and fairly cheap. Puts a razor edge on mine @ 20 degrees. Even works on my M2 & S30V blades, although they take quite a bit more time.

Key to a sharpe knife(ignoring blade material) is the angle of the grind, and of course whatever system you use is going to the "perfect!!!" angle built-in by the maker.

But the chances of your drawerfull/packfull of knives having that "perfect!!!" angle are about as likely as finding a pork-chop at achmeds christmass party.

So you will have to really work the knives at first, removing stock to get the angle, but once you get them there, your knives touch-up easyer, hold that edge better...

I have a Smiths set-up...

Ive noticed that on most my kitchen and pocket knives. Once I re-grind a good angle with the work sharp they cut better and I can strop them. The cheap thin knives just get a sharp edge.

I've been using a Smith's diamond lap I bought from Cabelas for rough sharpening and then finish it off with a white fine grit stone, don't know the brand of that. Sharpening by hand & eye-balling the angle, I can put a shaving edge on my Gerbers & Buck knives in a couple minutes. They don't do bad on the wife's kitchen knives either, but she sure dings the heck out of those things. I swear she must be samurai fighting ninjas with those things while I'm at work or something.

I picked up a Worksharp Field Sharpener and used it for the first time Friday morning on a set of Buck Paklites field dressing and quartering a cow elk. A really really good sharpener to put in your pack out in the field.

+1 on the Lansky system and Japanese water stones. Get your angles right and you can put a great edge on your blades. I like the process, slow and methodical. Kind of therapy and an escape for me. I have thought about some of the electric belt sharpeners, but I lose the Zen thing and I am worried about heating up blades. don't know if that is founded or not- I like the simple methods.

Key to a sharpe knife(ignoring blade material) is the angle of the grind, and of course whatever system you use is going to the "perfect!!!" angle built-in by the maker.

But the chances of your drawerfull/packfull of knives having that "perfect!!!" angle are about as likely as finding a pork-chop at achmeds christmass party.

So you will have to really work the knives at first, removing stock to get the angle, but once you get them there, your knives touch-up easyer, hold that edge better...

I have a Smiths set-up...The 'Infidel" blade a friend made me from a rasp-file did a complete Bear, skin and de-boned, this year without touch-up, afew strokes on the steel at home brought it right back to arm hair shaving sharpe...

Nice knife oneshot!!

I bought a work sharp and really like it. It is a great way to get a knife sharp quick. If I have time, and on certain knives I still use stones, but for kitchen knives and normal pocket knives the work sharp will get them squared up pretty quick. My mother in law got one last year after I did her kitchen knives with mine. She was pretty impressed by it.

We don't have super nice kitchen knives though. Just decent knives, so I don't mind putting them on the work sharp. If I had some high end stuff, I might look into something more refined.

I have a Lansky kit as well but nothing will beat that belt sander as mentioned above. Harbor Freight has the small ones for around $40.

Watching some videos on Youtube, it seems that the belt sander is the way to go if you don't need portable.

The WorkSharp is basically a small belt sander. It works well.