Sign in to follow this  
WHT_MTNMAN

Long/Shorty Backpack Hunt

One of my favorite Az historical figures owned a mine that I believe was later renamed the Long/Shorty mine and even though this hunt took place in a completely different unit the title is fitting.

My oldest son drew an early rifle Coues tag and my original plan was to take Thursday off work and pack into my selected spot either Wednesday after work or early Thursday morning. That would give us plenty of time in case of any mechanical or intellectual failures. Well long story short I needed to cover all of Thursday at work for a friend and so we were not able to get to the trail head until 6:30 pm Thursday night. I had only been about 3 miles in on the trail but was confident that even at night I would be ok, so off my son Braedon and I went. My projected hike was about 3-4 hours which of course due to the darkness/thickness/steepness of the country was extended. After a fairly brutal 5 1/2 hour hike we set up camp high on a ridge right around midnight. After a short restless night opening morning was upon us. We only had about 1/4 mile to go to the glassing spot I had picked out and almost immediatly found a few does and a group of small bucks. Throughout the morning we continued to find small bucks but nothing of any size. I glassed up a decent buck around 10:30 and I believe that due to the long hike the night before, the thought of 3 more days out there and being extremely tired my son decided he was big enough. After making a quick trip to get into position he missed the shot due to not taking the time to check his level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOnW-cQqRfY

After a few short minutes watching the buck run away, not getting another shot, watching the video seeing that he shot just in front of the buck we continued to glass. Within 5 or 10 minutes he glassed up a buck on another ridge coming right for us. At this point he was ready to shoot about anything We set up, took the shot and Braedon had his 2nd Coues.

After much discussion and with the buck being toward the bottom of the canyon and toward the trail for our hike out we decided to pack up camp before we bailed off the ridge. We packed camp, pics, (with the old school CW.com hat) took care of the buck and headed out around 2pm.

We really wanted to make it out of there that evening but after pushing as hard as we could and struggling to find the trail at dark and pushing through thick brushy bottoms and river we decided to stay another night on the mountain. As tough as my son is and has done quite a few tough hunts with me, both he and I were finished. We were beat. We cleared out a small spot, made a fire ate some food and tried to recover. The next morning we still had over 5 hours left of a difficult hike but we made it back home happy and successful.

As tough as it was, I am always glad when I can experience tough things with my kids. One of the longest/short hunts of my life.

***Side Note ***

I wish I could claim my sons goodness but I attribute it all to my wife. The day he shot his buck I wanted him to pack out as much as he could but figured that I could handle a heavy load easier than he would be able too. He took 3 quarters plus his own food and I took the heavier pack with the tent, bags, pads, water, gun etc.. plus 1 front quarter/loins/backstraps and trim. Well that night we both were pushed almost passed our limits. The next morning as I was putting away the tent etc.. I asked him to get started packing up his gear, well when I turned around I noticed that he had packed all of the meat including his food etc... I think he felt bad for me and was willing to take upon himself more pain and discomfort to help his dad. I have never been more proud. He struggled more than I did on that day because my pack was lighter but he never complained.

post-402-0-14361000-1509392771_thumb.jpg

post-402-0-87334100-1509392823_thumb.jpg

post-402-0-68442000-1509398472_thumb.jpg

post-402-0-23411900-1509398543_thumb.jpg

• Like 22

My hunting partner and I used to do a lot of wilderness pack hunts. They are some of our best hunting memories. It sounds like the hunt will be a great memory for you and your son in the future. Congratulations on the buck.

Wow great jobs guys

Great work Houston! You guys are awesome and definitely earned this one. You got a kid you can be proud of right there.

Great buck and well earned. Good memories. You'll be telling that story around the campfire for years to come.

Great job Houston! Father like son! All I can say is wow, Im impressed, thats more than most could handle including myself. 👍👍👍