Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Removable Brake question

Thinking of purchasing a Magnum caliber rifle that has a 24 inch barrel and I will want to put a brake on it. I currently have no rifles that have recoil that warrant a brake so I lack knowledge on how they effect the rifle accuracy

If I put a removable brake on and find an accurate load how will it change if I remove the brake to hunt.

Don't want blow my hunting partners ears off with the brake on.

Or will it always change the accuracy or point of impact. So I should hunt with the brake or don't put one on at all?

Caliber I'm looking to brake is 300 win

I built nearly identical.280ais for a friend and myself he knew that one of his kids would be shooting it with if the next couple years so he opted for a brake and I went without. While I was testing loads for both rifles I could notice a significant difference in recoil. I would put one on and then just make sure you have plugs nearby when your ready to shoot. Your hunting partner can plug his ears with his fingers as he looks through the spotter.

• Like 1

If you develop a load with a brake on the rifle then remove the brake you may have problems. The point of impact will change, likely higher without the brake. That one is not to hard to deal with, just re-zero the rifle. By removing the brake you are removing weight from the end of the barrel. This will change how the barrel vibrates when the gun is fired. It is possible a load that provided excellent accuracy with the brake on may not group as well with the brake removed. It depends on where the barrel is in its vibration cycle when the bullet exits the bore. A barrel vibrates like a tuning fork when the gun is fired. A well tuned load is matched to this vibration. By removing the brake you alter the vibration cycle of the barrel and may alter the grouping of your load.

• Like 5

Leave it on and just make sure everyone wear hearing protection.

This. Just used my daughter’s new rifle with brake on my coues hunt for the first time...ear plugs in the cheek rest pouch on the stock kept them handy...and also packed a set of electronic ear muffs so I could hear my buddy call ranges when we set up. Piece of cake.

• Like 1

This. Just used my daughters new rifle with brake on my coues hunt for the first time...ear plugs in the cheek rest pouch on the stock kept them handy...and also packed a set of electronic ear muffs so I could hear my buddy call ranges when we set up. Piece of cake.

I used electronic ear muffs this year when I shot my elk and man those things are handy.!

This. Just used my daughter’s new rifle with brake on my coues hunt for the first time...ear plugs in the cheek rest pouch on the stock kept them handy...and also packed a set of electronic ear muffs so I could hear my buddy call ranges when we set up. Piece of cake.

I keep a set in a little case attached to the sling mount on my Harris bi-pod and another set in my pack.

Nice of you to worry about your hunting partners, but their hands are aren't full of rifle. So if necessary they can cover their ears. I always keep my plugs in my chest bino pouch as well as a couple of individual packs of the foam ones in case buddies forget. Like pretty much everyone said, put that brake on and leave it there.

• Like 2

Google "around the neck hearing protection" Lots of companies make some that are a hard plastic U with foamies on the end that stay around your neck perfect when you're hunting. Cost 3-4 bucks.

A brake will certainly make a world of difference. If your gonna have a factory rifle threaded and add a brake make sure the diameter at the muzzle will support the thread pitch you want.

All of my hunting rifles except my AR have brakes. To be honest, I don't even wear plugs when I take a shot on game. The only one that really rings my ears is my .300RUM. That thing is a beast.

I just started hunting with a brake and have taken a deer and an elk with it. Both times I never even thought about hearing protection while out hunting. The elk was in the wide open prairie and wasnt so bad. The deer was in heavy timber and I couldnt hear sh1t for half an hr. My hearing is already very bad, Im sure from all the shooting w/o hearing protection, and Im only 41. With that said, put it on and leave it but make sure u have hearing protection when hunting. The brake is well worth it but the hearing loss isnt.

I put ear plugs in every pocket. I don't want to fret about looking for what pocket it was in.

• Like 1

I have a break on my rifle that was put on 24 years ago. The POI is the same with it on or off, 7 REM MAG. Way louder with it on.

A long time ago, I made fun of my brother-in-law for buying a .30-06 with a brake on it. Then I shot it. Then I seriously considered putting a brake on my .30-06 (still haven't). I put brakes on both of my kids' 7-08s to help them be more comfortable and enjoy the experience more. Shooting those two for load development made me love brakes even more. Like others have said, just keep ear plugs handy. Only twice its happened so fast that we didn't have time to use them. It wasn't that bad (that we noticed), but I always keep them handy. I have a brake on my 6.5 WSM because I love them so much and now I can't imagine getting a rifle without a brake. Someday I'll put on on my '06.