azsugarbear

An Open Dialog on G & F Laws

^^^

Your story smacks of G&F just looking for revenue. C'mon, dried up power bait? You would think common sense would prevail on the officers part.

Rule #2 Never self Report... teach yourself a lesson, don't rely on game and fish to do that for you

• Like 2

Almost 50 years ago my dad shot a buck with a large caliber rifle. Trouble is the bullet passed thru, traveled down range and killed a doe too. Game and Fish was so heavy handed back then too that a very honest man chose to feed the bears rather than report what had happened and hope a warden would believe and understand the accident. Too bad, a needy family could have been fed.

I had a similar thing happen when I was younger and inexperienced. 2 bucks standing there in the junipers. Take aim and shoot. 2 deer now running. Shoot 2 more times and miss. Come to find out I hit one of the bucks 1st shot and it dropped behind a rock. Turns out there were 3 bucks and I only saw 2. Good thing I can't hit a running buck. (There's that inexperience thing again)

As akaspecials said you should always check your shot before shooting again especially if it's brushy or from a blind. It's very easy to get caught up in the moment.

Moral of the story: Add a shovel to your daypack! :)

• Like 1

Ya you think, Ken Clay a piece of dirt in my book. it's all about the $ Benjamin $, they ain't changing no laws.

To noone in particular. A lot of you guys talk * but if you were in the same shoes, you would not be so sure of yourself then. I don't know the details of the situation. And I don't condone poaching. Likelihood this guy is a poacher to have his life ruined? Not likely. Likely a good hunter who made a dumb mistake like any one of us could possibly make "on any given Sunday."

And he is not related to Biden.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/19/joe-bidens-niece-finally-pays-up-for-100k-credit-card-scam/

A solid good friend of mine who has never bagged an animal, never shot at an animal, never even wounded an animal, but has always wanted to take home some deer meat to his family, forgot his license but brought his tag to our deer hunt once. Work was so nuts he could only make it out for 1 night and 1 day. Game and Fish was randomly ID'ing people, and he got nailed for not having his license on him, despite the fact that he had a valid tag. And this was when tags were valid only on Calendar years Jan 1 to Dec 31. So how did he get a tag without having a valid license in the first place?

The Game and Fish officer told him that if he had been hunting coyote he couldn't have done anything, but because he didn't have his license on him with a valid deer tag and admitted to hunting deer, he was cited on the spot. Next thing you know he gets a notice in the mail threatening jail time, $5000 fine (approx), the book. Good guy, solid God-fearing Christian, family and kids. Definitely no poacher and no criminal, and definitely not a guy that would make a dumb mistake without having a bad day.

And this guy is so far from being a poacher he still hasn't tagged his first animal yet. And they wanted to send him away...He could have got any lawyer, but if there is something to be learned about lawyers, it is certainly that one isn't as good as the next. Some are great for exactly what you need, and others were meant to be a different kind of lawyer. Bottom line was he got a good lawyer and it was dismissed after showing his valid license, but believe me the court would not have been so easy on him had he not had a lawyer that knew something about game laws...Without a good lawyer it would have been a number in their statistics to show they are *doing their job* (on a defenseless innocent person). And thankfully it was dismissed. But not until after it cost him $3 grand with his family fearing he was going to be sent away.

So, be careful what you say or do, you never know when you might be in the same situation. You can be the most honest guy in the world but if they have a quota to fill, you and your family are nothing I don't care how honest or law abiding you are. Only speak to any LEO through a lawyer. Even lawyers will not represent themselves.

Last but not least. If any of you think this couldn't happen to me -- it only happened to him b/c he must have done something wrong. And I'm not just referring to self-reporting, but being honest with someone who you think is simply checking your ID - you're still green or living in times of the past when things were fair...Times have changed, and LEO's, and judges have quotas to fill. You're just a number to them. This is why I don't understand why everyone votes judges in every year on the ballot whom they know nothing about. Many of them probably have Swiss bank accounts or monero accounts. It's like giving employment to people for life who probably don't deserve it.

^ cool story but they cant write you a ticket for not having a license if you have one. They can only write you for failure to have it on you. Non criminal so its like a parking ticket. Pay it an move on.

There's a good name Coues poacher, not trying to draw attention are you. lol

I think the biggest mistake here was this did version program. Terrible advice from the lawyer. I am

Not sure why people are bashing AZGFD. Sounds like they wrote a ticket for a crime you confessed to.

You are the one who made it into a whole big thing. Would have been pretty simple to go in there, state your case, plead no contest and pay your fine.

Seems like there is ample flexibility in the law.

• Like 1

The fathers give us a right to remain silent for a reason. Never give up that right.

• Like 3