Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Son tags first pig

My 14 year old has had a good hunt season. Tagged a cow in October and with only being able to one day for pig he tagged out in the first couple hours. Fortunately I know of a spot that generally holds pigs and we got lucky they cooperated. One big pig in the group but we couldnt get a god shot on it. So he settled for a smaller one. Pretty young pig but it a tag. Had fun watching in the glass and then planning out stalk. Was teaching him some about working the wind in our stalk. I used my wind puffer. Her preferred his bag of powdered doughnuts. Which actually worked quite well. We got to 80 yards. Could have shot further out. Of my three boys hes the best shot. Took his elk at 460 in the wind. But I Wanted him to have fun stalking. Anyway. One strange note. Used a 7mm-08 with Barnes tttsx. pig quartering away a bit. He placed it perfect maybe an inch behind the shoulder low on the body. Bullet blew through and completely shattered the opposite elbow or leg below shoulder just a bit. I Guess they dont have elbows really. Anyway we thought he missed because they all scattered. Pig didnt flinch and I didnt here a smack. We initially stalked another but didnt get a good shot. Thank God. We hiked over to original area and looked around but no blood. My boy was like. Dad I had a good shot. It felt good. Nice and steady. So Im doing the normal. Hey everyone misses now and again no big deal. And then said maybe they were a little further over to the right. We walked over and there was a massive blood trail. Strangely it went straight up a steep hill for 20yards and was heavy squirts of blood. Then made a right turn and ran along the mountain for 20more yards. Very little blood. Probably out of blood. And we found it. Im a fan of solid copper And I used this same rifle and bullet on feral hogs in OK this year and OKl whitetail and most animals dropped or made it maybe 15 yards but where obviously hit and going down. This little oinker was a tough SOB. Thinking the bullet just passed so fast that it was like an arrow. But that opposite shoulder was hammered . Anyway thought Id share. Attached a pic of the boy because the moon and airplane in the back are cool. Attached pic of exit wound shoulder

post-5454-0-47956800-1517768390_thumb.jpeg

post-5454-0-38272900-1517768402.jpeg

post-5454-0-56763600-1517768411_thumb.jpeg

• Like 12

Well done