Sign in to follow this  
Yoshi

Ice Coolers

I don't have any of the really nice ones. But look at the you tube cooler shoot outs. The coleman extreme was never first but it seemed like it wasn't the last one either to melt all the ice. As of durability it won't compare. But all I do is freeze a bunch of bottles and fill up my cooler. Don't have to worry about getting the meat wet

• Like 2

I even have a yeti coffe mug and coozie. Coffe stays hot all day, beer stays cold all day.

• Like 2

I don't have any of the really nice ones. But look at the you tube cooler shoot outs. The coleman extreme was never first but it seemed like it wasn't the last one either to melt all the ice. As of durability it won't compare. But all I do is freeze a bunch of bottles and fill up my cooler. Don't have to worry about getting the meat wet

If your not first, your last
  • Like 1

I have one of the original Canyon Coolers that has served well. However, I recently got a Vibe cooler and it is fantastic and you can't beat the price. This is one of those finds that you hesitate to tell everyone about fearing price increases. They make Kayaks so it is every bit as tough as any of the others, looks great in green camo, and has awesome features.

Patents must be expiring on roto-mold coolers because there are more brands than you can count on Amazon now so you can find something for cheap. Only downside is helping a Chinese vendor vs the USA.

I have a soft sided RITC which is a great little cooler as well.

• Like 1

Take this for what it's worth. It's just my experience and it's how I camp.

I have a 120qt Coleman Xtreme that I use strictly for ice storage. I can fit about 12-14 frozen gallon jugs in it. At camp it stays in the shade, covered with a heavy sleeping bag. I do not open it until needed. A smaller Xtreme holds 8 more frozen jugs. My other smaller Xtremes hold everything else. I replace jugs as needed, taking from the smaller Xtreme first.

Last years elk hunt, the 120qt stayed at camp for the entire duration. 17 days total.

When breaking camp, I still had 8 jugs in the large cooler. All 8 still had at least 20% ice block in them. The remaining water was still ice cold. The cooler was still somewhat cold inside.

This 120qt Coleman Xtreme cost me $54.

So what's my point? With a little bit of planning and care, a person can make ice last longer then one expects without breaking the bank.

• Like 2

I have a 120qt Coleman Xtreme that I use strictly for ice storage. I can fit about 12-14 frozen gallon jugs in it. At camp it stays in the shade, covered with a heavy sleeping bag. I do not open it until needed. A smaller Xtreme holds 8 more frozen jugs. My other smaller Xtremes hold everything else. I replace jugs as needed, taking from the smaller Xtreme first.

Last years elk hunt, the 120qt stayed at camp for the entire duration. 17 days total.

When breaking camp, I still had 8 jugs in the large cooler. All 8 still had at least 20% ice block in them. The remaining water was still ice cold. The cooler was still somewhat cold inside.

So what's my point? With a little bit of planning and care, a person can make ice last longer then one expects without breaking the bank.

I agree with this completely! Placement of an ice chest is key. My pelican (if placed correctly and not opened much) will hold bag ice and frozen water bottles for 11 days with 90% ice retention. Im sure cheaper coolers could do just as well if used right.
  • Like 2

I agree with this completely! Placement of an ice chest is key. My pelican (if placed correctly and not opened much) will hold bag ice and frozen water bottles for 11 days with 90% ice retention. Im sure cheaper coolers could do just as well if used right.
yep this and I have some high dollar ice chests pre planing and getting them pre-cooled

Is the key as well as the old sleeping bag trick.... if you wanna use an ice chest as a casting platform when your fishing or perhaps a heavy duty step ladder get one if not look at the extremes etc . Btw I have 3 yetis ...

• Like 1

I can't really justify spending so much, I'm really happy with my Ozark though and it's about half the price. The only thing is the rubber straps that hold the lid shut will probably break some day I'm sure bit of you consider most people use them only hunting and camping and I use mine everyday at work it is holding up very well and the rubber straps can be replaced if they break.

I would love to have a pelican the latches are very strong and latches and hinges are the first thing to go on cheap coolers.

You can do well with a mid priced Coleman but many of the cheapest coolers have little or no insulation in the lids. Plus the roto molded plastic is very nice and strong.

I need something strong for the work truck cuz of all the shoot I throw in the back

I have multiple Pelicans and the latches are awesome!

• Like 1

I heard great things about the rtic coolers was going to buy one but there made in china. only bummer for me.

Canyon cooler is made in flagstaff, my buddy has a few of them there great. he goes camping every other weekend in the summer with his wife and kids and a ton of friends. never need ices for 4-5 days.

I think a few archery shops carry them (the one on deer valley road and maybe Ross)

if your looking for a deal on one then you might want to buy a used one, but that would be like using trophy hunters socks ;)

Actually Canyon coolers are not made in America, they are just based out of Flag.

• Like 2

I can't really justify spending so much, I'm really happy with my Ozark though and it's about half the price. The only thing is the rubber straps that hold the lid shut will probably break some day I'm sure bit of you consider most people use them only hunting and camping and I use mine everyday at work it is holding up very well and the rubber straps can be replaced if they break.

I would love to have a pelican the latches are very strong and latches and hinges are the first thing to go on cheap coolers.

You can do well with a mid priced Coleman but many of the cheapest coolers have little or no insulation in the lids. Plus the roto molded plastic is very nice and strong.

I need something strong for the work truck cuz of all the shoot I throw in the back

I have multiple Pelicans and the latches are awesome!

The plastic latches on my Coleman broke the first time I used it. I bought some replacement latches that are stainless and have not had a problem in the 4 or so years I have had the cooler.

• Like 1