Jay Scott

Sportsmans Input Sought by ConserveandProtectAZ.org-Unit wide Raffle and Auction Tags

I am not part of asfw so I cant speak to their admin fees. I know anyone can attend their monthly meetings. I would hope that someone from this site could find the time to attend and ask for a reason why the administration fees are what they are. I can tell you the Arizona Deer Association has a very limited overhead. We pay a administrator/ bookkeeper a nominal monthly fee and we incur fees during are banquet but other then that we have very little overhead. At anytime anyone can attend a monthly meeting to any of the local wildlife organizations and ask or propose anything they want. These are volunteers that run these groups I can tell you any of them would welcome new people and new ideas.....the funny thing is conserve and protect has never said this is the only way. They stated they want your ideas. If its better then what they propose make it happen. Absolutely nothing is written if you or anyone else can provide a better idea they will move on it.....and 100% of money raised goes to Fight the fight.....I dont know what that fight is I just know we as sportsman better be prepared as there are several groups out there that are against hunting and they are all well funded...

you can go to guidestar.org and download their Non profit 990 forms.

I just did.... Here's the info from 2016 990

Total revenue $169,818

Totals Grants $145,430

Management costs $5,154

Advertising expense $11,435

Get your facts right, facts don't have feelings

What I saw on their 990 was net assets of 235816 and project expeditures as 90500. Dividing the little number into the big number I came up with total. Let me know if I am wrong. It wont be the first time.

Since all of the old groups are in the new group why not find out the cost of hiring a good lobbying firm to introduce a bill in the legislature that would prevent Game and Fish from any ballot initiative? Not the lobby firm owned by Jerry Wier's daughter. I think that they can convince our leaders that wildlife management should be run by biologists and not outside special interest groups. That would slam the door forever on HSUS and PETA. Get the cost and solicit donations for the cause. Why keep fighting this instead of blocking it for good? They don't allow ballot initiatives to change the Arizona Revenue Department so same should apply.

• Like 1

Why are we are ignoring the fact that auction tag holders will hire an outfit to help the kill a trophy.

With that said they already have a team to help take down any species. Why do they feel it necessary to do it outside of the regular hunting season.

Why don't the guides up there prices and take these would be auction tag holders and go hunt in the season. Oh competition.

They want the premier tag and out of season. Get TF out of here

Great idea, come get involved and help make it happen.

Since all of the old groups are in the new group why not find out the cost of hiring a good lobbying firm to introduce a bill in the legislature that would prevent Game and Fish from any ballot initiative? Not the lobby firm owned by Jerry Wier's daughter. I think that they can convince our leaders that wildlife management should be run by biologists and not outside special interest groups. That would slam the door forever on HSUS and PETA. Get the cost and solicit donations for the cause. Why keep fighting this instead of blocking it for good? They don't allow ballot initiatives to change the Arizona Revenue Department so same should apply.

Now with the rant comes a solution.

We already have auction tags. If you want a super special year round tag. Pony up and out bid the other guy. Period.

The auction process caters to the high end crowd that will pay $xx,xxx for tags

The super raffle caters to everyone that are unable to bid for a tag and offers that coveted year round tag for a good value to anyone.

Than there is regular draw-if you want a tag put your name in the hat like everyone else or play the Bonus point game.

This model seems like a fair privilege to all hunters in arizona regardless of annual income.

I say if these high end clients want to kill the biggest trophys have the Outfitters charge them what ever the auction tag went for and have at it. Go hunt San Carlos or a private ranch Utah.At the end of the day all they want is the trophy.if you don't like the current AZ hunting model go hunt else where. We don't need auction tags. If more revenue is warranted add two tags to the super raffle but only to AZ residents. Buy local my dudes.

The only thing that will come from this is the rich will line their pockets with tags and the executives will line their pockets with money. I know we are beating a dead horse but ask the 99% of Utah hunters how they feel about an identical situation. Like we have said, G&F issues 100,000+ tags a year. You figure there have to be 500,000 applications to receive those tags. Add a $5-$10 conservation fee per application dedicated to the cause and it would raise far more money than these auction/raffle tags will. Sneaky Pete saying that that wouldnt raise the necessary funds is a flat out lie. Also saying that he doesnt want to place a financial burden on all hunters is a flat out lie. An extra $5-$10 would not reduce the amount of applicants by any measurable amount.

• Like 2

The only thing that will come from this is the rich will line their pockets with tags and the executives will line their pockets with money. I know we are beating a dead horse but ask the 99% of Utah hunters how they feel about an identical situation. Like we have said, G&F issues 100,000+ tags a year. You figure there have to be 500,000 applications to receive those tags. Add a $5-$10 conservation fee per application dedicated to the cause and it would raise far more money than these auction/raffle tags will. Sneaky Pete saying that that wouldnt raise the necessary funds is a flat out lie. Also saying that he doesnt want to place a financial burden on all hunters is a flat out lie. An extra $5-$10 would not reduce the amount of applicants by any measurable amount.

Aaaannnd again the G&F can't raise ANY money for political purposes.

• Like 1

Now with the rant comes a solution.

We already have auction tags. If you want a super special year round tag. Pony up and out bid the other guy. Period.

The auction process caters to the high end crowd that will pay $xx,xxx for tags

The super raffle caters to everyone that are unable to bid for a tag and offers that coveted year round tag for a good value to anyone.

Than there is regular draw-if you want a tag put your name in the hat like everyone else or play the Bonus point game.

This model seems like a fair privilege to all hunters in arizona regardless of annual income.

I say if these high end clients want to kill the biggest trophys have the Outfitters charge them what ever the auction tag went for and have at it. Go hunt San Carlos or a private ranch Utah.At the end of the day all they want is the trophy.if you don't like the current AZ hunting model go hunt else where. We don't need auction tags. If more revenue is warranted add two tags to the super raffle but only to AZ residents. Buy local my dudes.

Kinda think the whole point is for the hunting community to make a contribution to the animals that will be protected for them by the monies raised. Hence the tag raffle/auction. The lion ban wouldn't effect the rez at all.

So, how is the g&f donating these tags and receiving money in return any different? If the money raised by raffle/auction tags goes back to g&f? How is that any different? If the people that are for this BS tag grab werent so condescending they would have a better chance. All the guys that are so for it act like us opposed are just a bunch of slack jawed, uneducated hillbillies that dont know what is good for us. Heres a box of crayons. Spell it out. Maybe well be able to make some sense out of it now
  • Like 2

Twig- is that the only bullshit answer you have? If the groups decide to go for a lobbyist and hit the legislature I will be the first to donate $500 to the effort. Get enough of us to do that and it might just solve the problem forever without whoring out our tags. Someone already said they spent $250000 on the lion issue and still haven't said exactly how the money helped to stop people from signing the petition. Did they buy TV ads? Did they run magazine ads? I told my Romanian employees that the dirty HSUS hippies were from California and were pro abortion so they could get their 1000 church members to hassle people. Show us some details of how the $250000 helped. I think you are using the chicken little method to get tags for outfitters and SFW/SCI.

So, how is the g&f donating these tags and receiving money in return any different? If the money raised by raffle/auction tags goes back to g&f? How is that any different? If the people that are for this BS tag grab werent so condescending they would have a better chance. All the guys that are so for it act like us opposed are just a bunch of slack jawed, uneducated hillbillies that dont know what is good for us. Heres a box of crayons. Spell it out. Maybe well be able to make some sense out of it now

I have no idea actually. I'm not an attorney or a bureaucrat or politician. All I know is that they are not able to raise money for political purposes. Doesn't make any sense to me either.

I bet what's going to happen next is the HSUS will run an ad campaign to win over the minds of people. Their ads will be complete with dramatic images and music just like the Dog and Seal commercials. I figure a counter campaign will cost lots of dollars.

• Like 2

These guys that are supporting this new tag grab must spend the day watching CNN. They sound just like the liberal politicians and liberal news reporters !! Say anything to make you think they are for the good of the people as they get what they are after.....biggest bunch of BS I have seen on here since they were trying to BS their way into some of AZ’ s premier tags in 2012 . Instead of trying to steal the people’s tags which are hard as heck to come by spend your energy and fears another way, set up a .....Defened AZ wildlife... and charge $10, $20, $30 per member. Then you can cry, cry, cry about how hunting in AZ is coming to an end and help save it with more money in your pocket....but leave the tags alone !!!

• Like 1

Im so confused with this whole thing.

1-Does game and fish keep the tags and run the raffle/auction in house and the money goes back to them for education?

2- Are the tags transferred to conserve and protect to run the raffle/auction and they hold onto the money for an education program/campaign?