Sign in to follow this  
CJNAZ

Ladder treestand on a saguaro??

Anybody ever heard of someone putting a ladder tree stand up against a saguaro cactus and living to tell about it???? I'd be led to believe that this would not only be extremely unsafe, or deadly, but also may be against some law or regulation.

Listened to a guy at work tell about how he does it often. Not too convinced he wasn't flinging some poo out to the guys he was talking to. Sounds sketchy so I thought I'd ask about it.

Worth a call to the forest service to ask.  I've heard that they have some kind of protection, but if you didn't damage the cactus, I can't see it being a problem.  The big ones are tough as heck and quite sturdy.  They'd support a ladder stand, just probably need some carpeting or something to protect the cactus from the strap or chain.

Endangered at least protected , state cacti, I wouldn't even ask.. Use a blind or get a tri pod stand

• Like 3

Saguaros are protected under the AZ Native Plant Law and, I believe, have the highest level of protection under that law.  I'd be curious to see how putting a ladder stand on one shakes out with those protections.  My guess is that it would be illegal.  That doesn't mean its easily enforced when the AZ Dept of Ag, which oversees the Native Plant Law, has had its budget and personnel cut as much as any other public agency, if not more.

As wildwoody, said, its definitely protected as the State Cactus.

• Like 3

I wouldn't even put a camera on a saguaro- I think state law spells it out about damage.

I heard for using a Sahuaro as a tree stand, AZGFD gives you 30 bonus points...

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I don't know about the legality.  (Although, I agree with others that it's probably illegal.)  But regardless of legality, it seems incredibly unsafe.  Saguaro's have shallow roots and are top heavy.  Adding more weight to the top and strapping yourself in seems like a Darwin Award waiting to happen.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I used a live rattlesnake as a condom 

I’m just glad to hear you use them at all😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

WHAT??

11 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Then you technically raped a ratlesnake

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Then you technically raped a ratlesnake

The question is, who held it straight for him during the process?