AZ8

Super Bonus Point

Thanks Big Browns.  This is designed to appeal to hunters with less points, many who have already enjoyed hunts on the tags they drew, to take cuts in the bonus point line for a few bucks a year.

Very well said. I have suggested that they square the points for this very reason. That would still gaurentee the guys at the top have a much better chance to be drawn. I appreciate your investment to our wildlife. Your concern however seems to be for very few people. There has to be something done for all of the hunting community and I feel this option is the most fair 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AZkiller said:

Very well said. I have suggested that they square the points for this very reason. That would still gaurentee the guys at the top have a much better chance to be drawn. I appreciate your investment to our wildlife. Your concern however seems to be for very few people. There has to be something done for all of the hunting community and I feel this option is the most fair 

What does squaring the pointsmean exactly?

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

What does squaring the pointsmean exactly?

You multiply your points by itself so if you have 5 points you have 25 plus 1 for that entry. 10 points 101, 20=401 30=901 and so on.

• Like 2

I think that most of Umpqua’s concerns would be resolved if they simply made the super point only valid for one year.

I still vote for a raffle.

Similar to the Big Game Super Raffle, for each species they raffle off 10 additional bonus points to be used in the next draw cycle. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AZkiller said:

You multiply your points by itself so if you have 5 points you have 25 plus 1 for that entry. 10 points 101, 20=401 30=901 and so on.

Nevada, I believe, does that.  I think AZ's system although flawed is the best system in the west.  It rewards people who have been trying for years and still keeps those with no points a realistic chance at getting a permit, thus keeping hunter recruitment higher.  

• Like 2

Montana squares points. The result is that there are so many random numbers it very much dilutes the advantages.

A case study on AZ’s most popular units would be interesting. 

I thought the point of the "Super Point" is to raise money,  NOT to an advantage?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Big Browns said:

I thought the point of the "Super Point" is to raise money,  NOT to an advantage?

Would be great to do it without creating a disadvantage for people who have been using the system for a long time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, idgaf said:

Nevada, I believe, does that.  I think AZ's system although flawed is the best system in the west.  It rewards people who have been trying for years and still keeps those with no points a realistic chance at getting a permit, thus keeping hunter recruitment higher.  

Unless you put in for sheep in 22,37a,6a,44bn without max then sure. The current point system does not give everyone an opportunity. You could be putting in for a unit that you never even have an opportunity to draw in. Hardly fair.

You’ll have an opportunity for that unit but you’ll have to wait.  Just like the guys with max points have waited for that that unit.  Sheep and buffalo are the only examples that it’s possibly not fair.  But it’s probably just as fair because in units that aren’t being taken by those with max everyone has a chance.   We all know az has more hunters than tags available for sheep, Buffalo, and antelope but it is possible to get those tags.  I think most people would rather shoot a 160 inch ram than wait 30 years to shoot a 175 inch ram.  Most will go to any unit to get a sheep tag than wait and possibly never get one.  Personally I love my 162 inch ram on the wall that took 7 points over waiting 40 years and not being able to hike when I’m 70. 

4 minutes ago, Northern Pintail said:

You’ll have an opportunity for that unit but you’ll have to wait.  Just like the guys with max points have waited for that that unit.  Sheep and buffalo are the only examples that it’s possibly not fair.  But it’s probably just as fair because in units that aren’t being taken by those with max everyone has a chance.   We all know az has more hunters than tags available for sheep, Buffalo, and antelope but it is possible to get those tags.  I think most people would rather shoot a 160 inch ram than wait 30 years to shoot a 175 inch ram.  Most will go to any unit to get a sheep tag than wait and possibly never get one.  Personally I love my 162 inch ram on the wall that took 7 points over waiting 40 years and not being able to hike when I’m 70. 

My kids will never have enough points. This isn't about me